My 42 year old daughter has bilateral breast cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

My daughter has a one year old son and her biggest fear is not being able to continue to care for him.  She is awaiting her treatment plan althouh has already been advised she will have to have a mastectomy of one breast, chemo and radio.

I am a practical mother (despite my user name!) and not given to shedding tears or receiving cuddles or sympathy. Any ideas how I can best support my daughter, husband and grandson?  Does anyone have any experience of this situation who can give me some tips?

Thankyou.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community but I am always sorry to see new folks finding us.

This is such a hard time for your daughter, you and the rest of the family but talking with people on the same path can help a lot. 

My cancer journey was rather different but if you follow this LINK to our Breast Cancer for the Under-50s Forum you will be able to connect with people who understand the path your daughter is on.

Just join the group and hit the 'Start a Discussion' tab and introduce yourself to the group. Remember to go to the right on the home page and indicate how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

We also have these forums where you can connect with others supporting family and friends through their cancer journey: Carers Forum and Friends and Family Forum

You may also find our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 helpful as you can talk to a friendly person that can help in various ways.

It would be really useful if you could put something into your profile as this does help others when replying to you or for those looking for support and information as they can read a bit about your journey so far.

Just click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile' under the 'Profile Settings'. If you're not sure what sort of thing to put just click on my username, Thehighlander to read my profile but my cancer journey was rather long.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge