Worried about bad infections

• 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

This is my first post on this site. In the last 2 years I have had prostate cancer and then an operation for bowel cancer. I got a fistula (a hole in the bladder) which has probably been caused by the radiation I had for my prostate cancer. I have ongoing problems with this and have a catheter. A few weeks ago I was told cancer has now gone to 2 areas on my liver both of which are quite small and have spoke to the consultant about treatment. They advise up to 6 months of chemotherapy followed by possible surgery and of course have gone through a long list of possible side effects, the worst one being that because of the fistula I may be even more at risk to get a bad infection. Sepsis has been mentioned and I find I am now worrying more about that than the cancer itself. Treatment will start at the beginning of january. Can anyone lesson my fears ?

• Hello and welcome to the community. It sounds as though you have been through a lot already. We do not know what chemo regimen you will be on, but It is difficult to predict how people react to any chemo. Some people sail through it with no problems, others  have nasty side effects, but most are somewhere in the middle. I had chemo for my bladder cancer and did not have any real side effects. We have had members of the bladder group with fistulas and having no bad effects. When they tell you about side effects, they always give you the worst case scenarios and this does not always happen. I understand your fears of infection as chemo lessens the immune system making you more prone to infection. There are basic precautions to take, such as extra hygiene. Antiseptic handwash and a good quality mouthwash. Avoid anyone with coughs and colds, but common sense is the name of the game. No need to go over the top. You still need a normal life. As regards the bladder, water is our friend. Regular water throughout the day keeps things flushed out and prevents bacteria building up, and reduces the risk of UTIs. Your chemo nurses will give you lots of help and information. Take things one step at a time. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• hi rily and thank you so much for your reply. I know they tell you worst scenarios about the treatment but it does scare you. the fistula seems extremely rare so its nice to hear you know of people  with them who have undergone the same problems. I will follow their advice and try to keep away from germs. many thanks and good luck to you.