What is the point of a resonance scanner?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Resonance scanner?  Hubby has just had this after various other scans and tests to see if he has cancer spread to his vertebrae following radical surgery 5 years ago which we were told was not totally successful ie cancer had already started to spread.  Anyone know what next step after this is likely to be?  He thinks he may have radiotherapy - he is 71.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I'd like to start first by saying how sorry I am that it's taken so long to respond to your question, I'm unsure why it remained unanswered, hopefully with my response other will join in shortly.

A specially trained doctor called a radiologist will read the results of your MRI and send the report to your doctor.

Your doctor will explain the meaning of your test results and what to do next.

If you haven't received an appointment letter to discuss the results it might be worth a phone call to the doctors pa and asking if the results have been received and read also asking if a date for the next appointment is in the pipeline and when it is likely to be.

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for this - I am the 'carer' my hubby has had constant problems since diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago ( a month after we met!) - he has had cancer twice before so a survivor of many treatments and surgeries- I am a complete newcomer but have had to catch up. 

He has had major surgery, minor surgery, endless medication some of which conflicts and makes him very poorly- I remain deeply sceptical about the whole thing as it seems quality of life is sacrificed for length of life - well not my decision to make of course but we have had some difficult times and continue to do so.

Macmillan and this support group is great but cancer never seems to end and dominates our lives.   

• It does dominate your life and sometomes its unnbearable.Life will never be the same and to.me its not a battle anymore its a test of enduremce .That being said he is still.here and I hope we have a little while longer its the not knowing thats the hard part I had a terrible week but feeling better today ..He us off to the hospice day service tommorrow Its a break for both of us .We  just have to keep going its awful scary and exhausting but thats the reality of it .Good luck my dear thinking of you  You are not alone take care x

Granny Sue

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Granny Sue

Thanks so much for this - I do feel very alone sometimes - in our 60s we didn't even get to know each other very well before the cancer kicked in - so everything in our lives has been strange and often difficult.

We managed to move to Spain for the sunshine and our two dogs and cat keep us going but it is uphill work.  

Best to you too.