Surprised at how grieve overwhelmed me last night

• 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here for a while and have only replied to posts which is partly due to the fact that this side has become a lot less accessible from a screen reader point of view but also due to the fact that I am currently translating my book from English into German which is taking a lot of time. And, until last night, there wasn't much to say. I haven't managed to go back to Ireland because of rising Covid 19 cases there and here in Germany. I suppose in one sense it is good to be still here as I am not isolated and alone which is something I really cannot imagine and I so much feel for all of you who are going through this right now. But even though I am with my family and it is good not to be alone, I have course miss my home and friends.

as for my grief, there was not much to say until last night. Last night, however, I read through the notes of our last night in hospital for my book translation. I think I have never drunk a bottle of wine so quickly before. I just felt overwhelmed with the sense of loss and, as a result, being lost in the world. What followed was a sleepless night with a very dark thoughts. Well, I had also forgotten to take my sleeping tablet which is never a good thing because you can feel the with drawl straight away and it gives you a headache and bad dreams.

I guess I was surprised at the sudden grieve as well as the fact that the only way I knew how to cope was to get drunk.

Love to all of you, Mel.

• Hi Mel

You can have a blip too. We all get them. I hope the wine was good,! I am.om tonight but have had a couple of drinks and feel tipsy. Sometimes it is what you need.

Lovely to hear from you

Love and hugs Alson xxx

• Hello Mel - hope today feels better and thinking of you. 

• Thank you both for your replies. Yes I am feeling okay. I think it was just Monday and Tuesday where it really hit me but since then I have been feeling a lot better. It is interesting, each time such a down situation happens it is like a release and then it is okay again for awhile. Best wishes, Melanie

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi Mal

Glad you are on the up again. Your moving forward inspired me and I am back on the up too. 

I am going to do this! Have felt quite cheerful last couple not days 

Xxx