First anniversary approaching

• 8 replies
  • 27 subscribers

This poem kind of wrote itself early this morning when I woke up, thinking about Mike, who died a year ago next week. I want to share it on this group where people understand...

September

The last days and weeks of your life were in golden September. We were surrounded by love and angels and soft September air.

The lost decades were a rich tapestry of love, loss, pain, laughter, joy, life. Though I am loved still, you took with you over three decades of your way of loving me. So that part of me is gone. I miss it. I miss you. Me without you is strange and unfamiliar as I navigate this strange and unfamiliar new world. Not alone, but without you, the person who knew me almost better than I know myself.

Maybe people think I’m doing well - they see me, surviving, living, loving - but my history was with you and without you sometimes I wonder who I am.

September will always be your month. The start of autumn, the beginning of the death of winter. I’ll think of you in the gold and blue chill of early morning, in the long shadowed afternoons and damply darkening evenings of these autumn days.

You were loved. You are missed.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

What a lovely poem.  Thank you for sharing, it really resonates with me.  My wife Lynn died 13th February this year, I feel so alone without her.  The loneliness is the bit I struggle with.  Peter 

• I’m pleased you liked it, and so sorry for your loss. Lockdown must have been hard. Take care of yourself. 

Alison 
    Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm
  • Dear Occupation2heal,

Thank you for sharing and expressing words that we can all identify with. 

I started writing poems just before my first anniversary and found it helped me to express feelings. I found this creative outlet very healing. I hope the same applies to you. 

Take care of yourself,

With lots of love,

Dutsie Xx

• Thank you Dutsie. I have found that many of your poems have resonated with me. Tomorrow is the anniversary of Mike’s death. I’m spending it with our children and grandson. The last few days have been peaceful and reflective but no more poems have emerged. Not yet anyway. 
    Love to you x 

Alison 
    Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm
  • Dear Alison,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, actually now today. I found the first year a bit of a roller coaster of a year.

Its good to hear that you are spending tomorrow with children and grandchildren. I hope that you have a lovely day with them thats full of love and that makes part of your heart smile.

Sending you a big virual hug with lots of love,

Dutsie Xx

Ps I look forward to reading further poems when they do emerge and hope you are asleep now unlike me!

• Thank you Dutsie, I hope you’ve had some sleep. 
    Hugs. Alison x 

Alison 
  • Hope today has been ok for you  Huggingx

Here's a virtual hug Hugging

Tomorrow is another day
  • Hi it was my hubbys first anniversary last week and I was better than I thought I would be ...hope you are too .Its so hard feels a lot longer than a year miss him so so very much still think he will come home one day

Also our son had his 18th birthday the day befor that was a hard day for us all  . My hubby would of taken him to the pub for his first drink ..son did not want to celebrate his birthday ..at the weekend we drove to a favourite place of hubbys and felt close to him as we all looked over the harbour wall a big white feather just floated down in front of us so strange 

I still just take each day as it comes Thinking of you all x