My husband’s birthday- eight months on

• 5 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Mike would have been 63 today. He died in September last year from oesophageal cancer. I keep thinking how lucky we were that things were ‘normal’ then. We were able to have hospice at home carers, visitors to the house, a funeral with lots of people. I was able to see friends and family as and when I needed afterwards, and going back to work was a lifesaver. My heart goes out to everyone struggling with the loss of loved ones at this time. 
Some people on here might remember me. I posted a lot after Mike died and always found loving acceptance and kind words of support. For a little while now I’ve been seeing someone else and I’ve felt happiness re enter my life. There’s a really good Ted Talk by Norah McInerny ( Google her) about ‘moving forward’ WITH grief not moving on FROM it which I find really helpful. My bereavement counselling sessions have also been enormously helpful.
My adult children have been hurt by my new found happiness and have been out of contact for some time, however today being their dad’s birthday, we are all going to connect and remember him. I hope some good will come of it. Meanwhile I’m having a gentle day remembering the man I spent most of my adult life with, the good times and the bad times because they are all part of the rich tapestry of our life together. 
I wish everyone on this group well for the journey and send you all a big virtual hug.

Alison