just wanted to ramble

• 35 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi all, 

Bear with me. Am in a pensive mood. It's Thursday, the candle is lit and the flame is my company. I feel as if Gilles has gone for good, nothing I can interpret as a sign. Sometimes I feel that at 15 months, I should be doing better but when I read the posts of those who are 11 weeks, 6 months or 8 months on, I tell myself that it could be me.

I miss Gilles immensely. We never actually said good-bye. I was so much in denial or hoping so desperately for a recovery, that I didn't see the end coming, or didn't want to admit it. In the end, he slipped away in a coma. I know I'm repeating myself for those who've, unfortunately, been on the site for a while now. At first, not having said goodbye didn't bother me because I felt as though there hadn't been any need. There was a knowing, and that remains true, but I would have liked to be able to hold on to some parting words. He was not very expressive, so I can't even imagine what that could have been. So, it is what it is.

What else does life hold? I went to see a doctor this week and she asked me if I was particilarly stressed out at the moment. I told her I was grieving and out came the tears, instantaneous, like magic, kind of like Pavlov's dog. Mention anything remotely connected to his death and I cry. She said hat at 51 I was still young and it was up to me know if I wanted to live through the rest of life that remained. Question mark.

I was thinking today in the car that no matter what I try - meditation, looking and talking to pictures, holding on to his pillow - nothing will ever compensate for the loss. Nothing will ever capture his essence. 

We have all said at some point that a part of us died too and that we don't know who we are. Many of us, not all of us, were in our 20's when we met or got marrried to our partners or spouses. We were children, when you come to think of it. We were becoming, still being shaped and then found ourselves so deeply intertwined with another individual. We merged, in a way. Going back to that person before Gilles is impossible. I am, necessarily, partly him, partly me, plus what the illness and death  did to me. I did something really courageous this week (too long a story), stood up for myself like I've never done before. I fought for Gilles' life but I've never really tried too hard for me. Have always been a good litte girl not making waves, and certainly not at work. I would have liked to hear him say, "You did well."

I've kept you long enough. If you're still reading, thank you for your patience. I had no particular point I wanted to make, just needed to prattle. For some reason, 15 months feels like another milestone - it's a round figure.

Take care, everyone, in these strange times.

• Me too Limbo. Well done Shelia xxx

• Hi All,

Well now a ward nurse until further notice but we are now taking no Corona patients because the NHS need our theatres so emergency surgery patients. A huge relief as the risks are far less and there is a huge sigh of relief around the workplace. We are all pulling together so it may be ok. My manager came to see me and asked if I was ok. Do.i am.happy to work as long as I am well. We have lots of infection control policies at home and work!!! 

I have had extra time off this afternoon whilst things are set up at work. So I have cut the grass, set up my washing line, and saved the ironing for tomorrow. Now time for our homemade curry.

Stay safe everyone 

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Akela2516

Hi Alison 

that’s good news for  you and you have been worried about work  And kept yourself busy all afternoon the world is mad at moment   
    enjoy the curry. 

Martin x

• Thank you Martin I have been panicked about work. Although I can talk to mum and dad on the phone and the children are here, I really felt I needed to talk to Ric about it. I am struggling the last couple of days again. Grief seems to have popped back up to the front of my life! I keep thinking about all those people dying without their families and the staff being too busy to be there! Goes against my nursing ethics and bringing it back that I wasn't there to hold Ric's hand as he died so suddenly.

Maybe I am being silly.

Another day off, I have gone back to my regular 25 hours a week, I don't want to do extra at the moment. Feels safer at home. Inside chores today and maybe a walk to de-stress I think. Late shift tomorrow! 

Lovely sunny day so enjoy everyone.

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Akela2516

Hi Alison 

I drive a artic for a big parcel company all the pallets I’ve been delivering lately come from China Spain Italy  Germany Holland  now I’m beginning to worry and would like to talk to Diane hope she i watching over me  I with Diane when she died I even went to chapel of rest to see her because I wanted to say goodbye  but the virus is a worry I have good day and bad days and sit and talk to her I feel like  I’m not doing things properly and ask her

have chill day take care 

martin x