Valentine's Day

• 27 replies
  • 26 subscribers

My husband was a real romantic and I am struggling with valentine's Day coming up. If I see any of the cards etc in a shop, I have to find a way around or I will burst into tears there and then. I know he would have made the usual fuss and I am missing the idea of this. 

The first year we were together, he painted a huge heart with the words I love you in the middle of it. It is still on the utility room wall, 10 years on. The second year our bed was full of rose petals! There was always an elaborate celebration. 

I thought about releasing a balloon this year even if it isn't environmentally friendly. 

Finding it so much harder than I thought. I am still messaging him too! The main reason I have kept his FB account open! Is that silly? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Akela, 

I am too dreading of Valentines day. I am already avoiding the shelves with cards and flowers. 

My husband was also a romantic one. He always bought me 24 red roses on Valentines day and the most expensive card from Clinton's. I used to tell him off for wasting money on Clinton's cards. For me was much more important to spend the time together. 

Nothing is silly what gives us comfort. Just do whatever makes it a bit easier for you. 

Take care

Love x

• Hi Akela2516,

Ah that's so sweet that your husband was such a romantic and so well able to show it to you. And I can understand that you are struggling with Valentine's Day coming up.

The first couple of years in our relationship, we felt it was important to celebrate it. But later on, we decided to not do it anymore. Paul used to say, "It's important that we show each other our love every day as though Valentine's Day was every day."

But, as I said, I understand how difficult it must be for you especially when you celebrated this day together every year.

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Akela

Aww how sweet of your husband and no you aren't being silly at all. It's a difficult day for many.

It was a very special day for us as we married on valentine's Day. This year is 33 years. To think he will never ever spoil me again on this or any other day is heartbreaking.Broken heart

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • Wild cat, what a lovely day to get married. So romantic. 

We got married 9 years ago, it was 23rd December 2010 in the snow!!! Sounds pretty but it was bloody freezing! Lol. He passed on the 28th December 2019. 

Strangely I married my first husband on 11th August on a very hot day and he passed on the 18th August!!  Not sure why either passed so close to our wedding anniversaries! 

Not sure if it is going to make Christmas any harder this year!!! 

Ric shared his birthday with my brother! My brother will be 50 this year so it could be another hard day. 

Keep going on!!! I guess there will be many significant dates!!! Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Akela,

I have kept my partners mobile account open just incase I want to text her, even though she wont read them and also incase I want to hear her voice one day by listening to her recorded message. It's coming up uo 5 months since her passing.

This month is hard for me as my birthday is coming up and with Valentines day tomorrow. I thought about getting her a card but it will never get read so I've decided to get her some flowers and place them on our memorial cabinet with her ashes.

I hope you get through the day ok.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Umm. 

This is the 3rd valintines times day since my babe sleted away from my arms

Just waiting got saturday.

Xxx

• Sending everyone a big valentines hug. Another difficult day to get through. I've put a single rose next to my hubby's ashes. Missing him so much. 

Lots of love Hearts️

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to AliG55

I wrote my husband a valentine card and put it up on his side of the bed. I had a card and chocolates from my little granddaughter but really it’s been a shit day as I miss him so very much! Is the day over yet?

• I've just sat crying over his photo. I just want him back!

My daughter took me out for lunch and bought me some choccies and a DVD and my son got me some flowers, a close friend popped in with flowers too.

I really appreciate their thoughtfulness but it's not the same, I'm sat here on my own watching rubbish tv knowing I wont sleep if I go to bed, so what's the point?

I'm so fed up with feeling like this.

Night night, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to AliG55

I’m the same stay up far to late as bed is the worse time for me but then I’m tired in the morning. It just seems a relentless meaningless existence I’m going through nothing means anything without my Boy. 4 weeks today he died in our bed in my arms and my life went black!