This may be of help to the bereaved

• 2 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Following on from the passing of my wife I received a letter from the Government State Pensions Dept saying that they had overpaid Anne's pension. They asked for £317.20 to be repaid back giving various ways of doing this. I had already got a similar letter from PIPS ( Diasability Living Allowance.)  asking for £85 to be paid back as a result of a similar overpayment. It was so distressing dealing with this latter  matter that it took me writing three cheques before I got it right. Then I get the former letter. Emotionally I couldn't deal with it and put the State Pension letter to one side. Once composed I researched this matter and found out through a website called This is Money. 4th October 2019 that although the bereaved receive these type of letters they do NOT in law have to repay this money. It followed on from a destitute family being asked for £666 in over payments to be returned. The web site had researched this matter and got the Government to admit they cant demand these repayments in law  BUT NEVER SAY THIS IN THEIR LETTER!  This put the bereaved family mind at rest. Whilst I could reimburse this money I'm not doing so. (A) Because of Goverment deceipt. ( B) My darling paid into the State Pension Scheme since she was aged 15. Anne passed at 71 and never once missed a payment or went on unemployment benefits.  Eventually this money will be paid into Pancreatic Cancer Research UK. The disease my darling passed away from.

Love and Light Geoff.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Geoff, 

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

My husband had received a letter from the Government  arround a year ago or so, saying, they overpaid him on jobseeker allowance back in 1999 by arround £1000. He was re-paying it in monthly instalments. Before he passed away, he cancelled the direct debit to the Government. Later I received a letter from the Government addressed to my name, that I have to settle the outstanding amount of nearly £550. I rung them and they said, they would put the payment on hold and I will receive a form, which I did. My understanding was, that I don't have to pay it off. I returned the form and a few days later I received a reply, that I have to settle the outstanding balance, which I did. Whether it was lawful or not, I don't know. I met my husband eight years ago and I don't know, why it took 20 years to find out, he was overpaid. 

• Hi Andrea

As I see it that was your late husbands debt not yours. All debts are cancelled once a person passes although they could try to claim from what they would term the   deceased persons 'estate'   But I doubt if they would have taken this course of action. The amount they wanted wouldnt have off set their legal fees pursiing it. How despicable of them to con you like this. 

Love and Light

Geoff

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.