<Moving Forward But Not Liking It

• 12 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi all,

I would like to start with a warning: I am writing this after three gin and tonics.

Since my brother left on Tuesday, I have been feeling very different from before. I have done a lot of work in the clinic and I have met up with friends and I have actually never had a minute to myself until, this evening, I finally decided to sit down and watch a movie on Netflix all by myself.

At first I felt weird. I didn't know what was happening to me. Honestly, for two days I even thought that I hadn't taken my anti-depressant abnd that that was the reason for my weird feelings. But then I realised that this is feeling "normal", feeling okay about life as it is now. It is not the life I would have chosen for myself, I still want Paul here with me, and I still can get very sad when I realise that not only is he not here with me now but he wuill never come back; but in a strange way that has become my new reality and I am functioning within this new reality and in a way I am even enjoying it.

Does anyone else here have the same experience?

It's not like I am forgetting Paul and what he was and still is to me. But the realisation is very clear now that he is no longer here with me and that I have a choice: either I am going to live the rest of my life in misery wishing that he was still here, which is never going to be true, or else I start living again.

Love, Mel.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Nice to see that you are pulling the strands of your life together, the thing with 'moving on' or 'moving forward' is that for some of us circumstance makes that more difficult. I ran an IT business with my husband now I am considered too old for IT and I have no other useful skills so I may have moved part of my life but the largest part work is now a closed book that society will not let me reopen. I could get a job at Sainsburys or in a care home but the reason I went into IT is because I don't like people so my new reality is isolation.

D

• Hi Mel. Hope you enjoyed the G and T. I am pleased to see you are moving forward with your life. But I am still in a dark place and still the future looks very bleak. I can’t imagine life without Winnie. I hope in time I can get where you are. And maybe enjoy life again. 

Are you still on antidepressants or are you off them now. I have been on them for about a month. 

Hope you keep enjoying life. 

Mike 

Love you always Winnie xx
  • Hi Mike and all,

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am enjoying life, but I think I have found a way to live my life that feels okay to me - certainly not what I wanted but at the same time knowing that it is all I am going to get.

Yes, I am still on anti-depressants and on sleeping tablets and I wouldn't want to come off either of them. I don't want to have to go through any changes related to medication or diet or other things too much because I fear it might change the place where I am right now which is kind of okay.

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi Dee and all,

I am sorry that this is the reality you are finding yourself in.

Of course I know that our circumstances are all different and we struggle in slightly different ways depending on our circumstances. And I am not at all saying that this is easy for anyone, myself included. However, I do feel that, over time, I get used to the new life I have, a life I don't want but a life I have to accept; and something in me tells me that, unless I try to make the most of it, I won't enjoy life ever again and that is a terrible thought. There must be some reason to go on, something to get up for in the morning. I always say: I will never ever fall in love or be in love with anyone like I did with Paul, Paul was and still is my soulmate, my husband, my best friend, my companion in life, the person I feel closest to and safest with; nobody could ever take his place in my heart; but it still remains a fact that he is no longer here with me and that my life is only worth living when I do my best to live it well. For me this means doing my work and actually going on courses and workshops to train even better in helping people get well and heal and maintain their good health, it means finding friends and keeping up friendships, even though sometimes I don't feel the strength for that, it means going to work every day no matter how I may feel inside, it means looking after my house with the same love that Paul and I together used to have for it, it means occasionally traveling somewhere or making new experiences... All those things belong to a fulfilled life. And I think Paul would love to see me doing my best. 

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• I actually don't know how to change the subject line of a post. Its subject line should have been "Moving Forward And Not Liking It" and not "Moving On And Not Liking It". I actually hate the term "moving on" and so much prefer the term "moving forward", God knows why I wrote the term "moving on" last night, it must have been the gin.

Mel.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MelanieL

Hi Mel

Maybe I can help you.

Go back to your original post and you should see at the bottom left (Image 1)

Like     More

Click on More

a drop down box should appear (Image 2)

Alert Moderator

Edit

Click on Edit

This will take you back to the post as if you hadn't sent it, you can then amend the title line or any other content you want to

When finished press Post/Send/Reply

and your new title line will be shown in the thread anyproblens come back to me 

Ian

Image 1

Image 2

• Thank you, Ian, but unfortunately, like it is often the case, I can't click on "more", something which has to do with the screenreader settings. It sometimes happens, and I am not sure why, that screenreader users cannot click on links because the cursor is not really on the link but tells us that it is.

• FormerMember

Hi Mel

Plan B

Email community@macmillan.org.uk

And ask Jimmy to  change the header, he should be able to change it to the wording you prefer.

Ian

• FormerMember

Hi Mel

Plan B

Email community@macmillan.org.uk

And ask Jimmy to  change the header, he should be able to change it to the wording you prefer.

Ian

• Hi Mel I have come off my medication but going back on it again as it did help a little especially sleep when off only got 4hours on it at least 6 hours so stay on it  all the best 

Ian