Holiday

• 9 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Its now just over eight months. I felt I needed a break so booked a holiday last minute, leaving this Saturday. It is the first time I am going away without Richard in the last 16 years or so.

Whilst I don't have that constant drained feeling, I still get very tired easily.  Since, I have booked this break I have had mixed feelings. 

I know I need this break but feel painfully sad at another one of many firsts. I am going away with a friend and I am sure it will be relaxing. Just wanted to share it is not the same! Urgh!!

One of many suggestions by Richard was that I should go travelling when he was gone. In an ideal world I would have taken a year off. You almost need to find yourself again. Still feeling lost without him. 

In the interim, I will just have to go with the flow, reminding myself of the promise I made myself and what Richard would have wanted.

With lots of love,

Dutsie x

• Well done you.

Absolutely nothing wrong with going on holiday, I'm so glad you have a friend to go with. Obviously firsts are awful but Richard wanted you to travel so he will be proud of you.

It won't be the same but different and you can talk to Richard and I like to think he will be with you experiencing it all with you.

Let us know how you get on? Where are you going? 

• Ruby diamond x
  • Good on you. Hope you have a good time away with your friend.  It's good you've someone like this.

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • Well done Dutsie

I know how hard this is, I’m about to have a holiday myself. It’s not the same I know but I’m still thinking my husband’s  coming with me, he’s forever safely tucked up in my heart. 

I hope you have some lighter moments & enjoy seeing your friend. 

Sarah xx

• Thank you Ruby Diamond. I was going to go on my own to Sifnos but was too close home as we went there together last year and plus the yoga/hiking retreat was not until later in the year and I need a break now!

So another couple of firsts on the positive side, going to Tenerife where I have not been before and also going away with friend which, again I have not done before. Yes, I am lucky Wildcat,  to have friend that will accompany me. She has had a tough year in another way but we both always know how to see the positive side of life. Still did not stop me being a bit apprehensive about this decision and obviously, sad that Richard is no longer here with me.

Sarah, it will be different and I intend to make the most of it. I have not been healthy and want to "reset"/ address  some lifestyle choices i.e. eating regularly, exercise and rest. I hoping it will be easier away from home and with someone. Time will tell. What are your holiday plans, hope you enjoy the moment too x

With lots of love,

Dutsie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I lost my wife 8 months ago, Claire, ans I went on holiday with my kids, the first time without Claire. It was very hard and very emotional as we always went to this place together. Although I’m glad I did it, I understand how you feel it must be very hard. I cried nearly everyday on my holiday because every where we went there was memories, we also got married there. They’re nice memories but it hurts. Your husband would be very proud of you, he wouldn’t want you to miss out on life

E x 

• Thank you Turkish,

It is emotional, reading your message made me cry. There is so much beauty in the lovely memories. I mentioned before that most of the time I can now smile at memories but when it comes to anniversaries and firsts, the floodgates open. Yes, it hurts.

I am glad you were glad you did it and I am sure your kids needed some quality time with their father. 

Thank you for taking time out to write. All my best wishes to you and your kids. 

Dutsie x

• What I miss most is the doing "nothing" together and being content. Missing Richard...

Finding it difficult to switch off and totally relax. I suppose that's goes hand in hand with it being my first holiday without him.

Saying that it is nice to get away with a friend who is just as knackered as I am to rest. Energy levels improving, exercising more and now eating regularly. Strange to have a holiday like this but it is what I feel I need for now.

Take care all and with lots of love,

Dutsie x

• Went for a walk at the Barranco del Infierno yesterday. Once I got to the waterfall I sat alone with a robin keeping me company. What a lovely way to end what has been a bit of an emotional journey, going on my first holiday without Richard.

With lots of love,

Dutsie x

• Seems like you were not alone perhaps your husband was there with you a Robin is a sign that you are not alone hope it was true for you 

Ian