Cancer stories

• Community News : Talking about grief

'Talking about grief' written in white writing over a photo of a blue sky with white clouds taken by David.

Photo by David

Today we are back with our 5th instalment of our Bereavement series. The aim of this series is to try to shine a light on important issues facing those who have lost a loved one to cancer, and remind everyone that the Community is a safe space where we welcome any conversations about grief and bereavement.

But why is it important to talk about grief and how we are coping after the death of a loved one?…

• Community News : “It was a surreal experience” - Lesley’s story

A picture of Lesley, she has shoulder-length blonde hair, and she's smiling and wearing a cream sun hat.

After her breast cancer diagnosis six months ago, there was a lot Lesley wasn’t expecting about her own experiences of cancer treatment and recovery. She also wasn’t expecting how much strength she would find in herself, and unexpected places. Lesley talks about her experience with diagnosis, cancer care, breast cancer surgery, radiotherapy, follow-up and recovery in today’s guest blog.

Six months ago, I was…

• Community News : Men's Health Awareness Week - Dan wants you to douche it

A portrait photo of a smiling Dan, after surgery to remove one eye.

Did you know that it’s Men’s Health Awareness Week 14th - 20th June 2021?

The recent Macmillan campaign Tell Us The Score’ explained that men represent 51% of people diagnosed with cancer, but that only 37% of the calls to the Macmillan Support Line come from men.  Similarly, members of the Community are less likely to be men.  This means that men are missing out and aren’t asking for, or getting…

• Community News : Sunita’s experience with post-surgical menopause, chemotherapy and hair loss.

Rainbow coloured fabric with the words 'Being bodies, Sunita's experience written in white.

Sunita was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer and is sharing her experience with post-surgical menopause, chemotherapy and coping with her changing body image.

There can be a whole range of things to consider when you go through treatment and everybody’s experience is so unique to them. Different aspects of body image are often talked about on the Community and Sunita is sharing her personal journey in the hope it can help…

• Community News : Cancer & me 35 years on - Hong Kong and Back to reality

'Cancer & me 35 years on, vol 12' written next to a photograph taken by Willo of the ruin of St Paul's in Macau China.

Photo of the ruins of St. Paul's in Macau, China taken by Willo. 

We are back today with the next instalment of Willo’s blog series ‘Cancer & me 35 years on’. Willo is a member of our Community who was diagnosed with Anal cancer in 1986 while living in Zambia and has been sharing her experience of living through and beyond cancer, as well as her amazing artwork and photographs, in her blog series…

• Community News : Being bodies - breast cancer and wearing a breast prosthesis

Breast cancer and wearing a prosthetic written over a picture of a lake at sunset, with mountains in the background.

Sapphie, also known on the Online Community as Secondary BC , was diagnosed with breast cancer at just 32. Sapphie talks us through their experience trying several different types of prosthetics following their breast cancer surgery in the 1990s, and how humour has helped them and their family over the years.

I was diagnosed when I was 32 years old, after finding a lump and being told by a consultant I was too young to have…

Personal Experiences
There are no posts with the requested tag.