Help please

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 13 subscribers

My husband had stage 4 testicular cancer, which ended up with him having retroperitoneal lymph node dissection. This was in 2017. He has been monitored, and has always continued to have abdominal pain, following surgery. At his latest oncology appointment his AFP has risen from 24 (it was always hovering in the teens, which the consultant wasn't concerned about) to 196. He is due emergency CT on Tuesday. Has anyone else had this happen? It's so hard as he's a complete worried and also doesn't help I've just started chemo for stage 3 breast cancer.

Thank you for any feedback, advice

• Hi,

I’m so sorry I haven’t any experience of this but just wanted to say so sorry that you are both going through this. Brilliant they are doing the CT so quickly and looking after him. Remember, whatever the stage that this is a highly curable cancer and they are obviously “ on it”. 

It may be that prayer is not your thing but if it is ok then I will pray for both of you, that your mind can live only in today and that worry will not destroy your peace. This is such a tough disease to bear but it is also a disease with a wealth of funds/ research and experts who will give you the very best treatment available. 

Look after yourself! 

• Hi Hellokittykat, 

I’m sorry you find yourself here, but welcome.

I relapsed after initial chemo, 4 * EP, my afp raised and I had an emergency CT scan that identified tumours in my lymph nodes, lungs and chest cavity.  Stage 2c at best I’d say, maybe 3, an official staging  was never discussed.

The next treatments available will be “salvage chemo”, which is a choice between TIP and High Dose chemo.  At this point the medical profession will give the patient the choice of treatment to recieve.  Trials are currently being undertaken to try to determine which should be the standard treatment, TIP or high dose.

Because the medical profession leaves the decision to the patient I have researched this subject extensively, and if you like I can post links to some articles that helped me understand the decision I faced.

take care 

dan