Prostate Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Its now March 2020 my husbands had PC since 2015 after hormone therepy treatment 28 days radiotherapy 3 monthly and 6 monthly surveillance he has now been discharged from the hospital and has 6 monthly blood tests with his Dr now we don't trust our Drs as much as the hospital originally they failed to diagnose my husbands PC saying it was an age thing it took another 2 years of urine problems before he got referred should we be asking more questions at the Drs ? 

• Hi BY

Probably the most important thing now is monitoring the psa, has he had one since the Radiotherapy?

Is he still on hormone therapy,  I presume that the tumour was confined to the prostate.

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi Steve My OH has finished all his treatment 2 yrs ago hes been on active surveillance and his tumour hadn't spread he has a psa blood test every 3 months for 18 months then 6 monthly from now on just got no faith in his Drs 

• Looking at his profile I see that his psa was .03 sometime ago.

So long  as it stays roughly the same, a few points up or down doesn't matter, he should be ok. I presume that he is no longer on HT.

His GP can't do much wrong monitoring his psa so I wouldn't worry too much.

Unless his psa is creeping up then 6 month PSAs should be ok. After 1 year I went onto yearly PSA Tests and my psa was higher than his.

Steve

• As Steve says, his GP can't really do anything wrong with ongoing PSA monitoring, I assume all that's happening is that blood tests will be taken and results obtained via your GP.

I followed exactly the same path after completion of radiotherapy and hormone treatment in late 2016. At first I had PSA blood tests taken at my GP surgery (but only because I asked for this because of the distance to hospital) and had to attend hospital for the results. After a few satisfactory results I moved to telephone calls from the hospital to tell me results and again after a few satisfactory results I will be getting results from my GP surgery with no hospital involvement. I have been given a booklet to record ongoing results and if future results show a trend above agreed limits I will be taken back into the hospital's care. Hopefully this will never be necessary.

To me this is reassuring because the consultant must consider I am past the high risk period since treatment ended.

I hope your husband's results continue to be good.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.