P.R.D.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hallo! Is anyone out there who has heard of  pelvic radiation disease.

I have most of the signs and symptoms.

It is mentioned in MacMillan literature, but named as Late effects of Radiotherapy on male pelvis, or something like that.

Alex Simplicity.

• Hi Alex

I am aware of problems after Radiotherapy, some of which can start many years down the road. I didn't know that it was called PRD.

There is a lot of info on this subject online, I presume that you have looked at this.

You say that u had RT in 2015 , when did the problems start, what symptoms are u having?

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi Steve.

Getting bowel problems...tenesmus,constipation,urgency,minor incontinence and a great deal of discomfort...soreness,..and outright pain at times. Especially in the left side of the left testicle. Constipation eventually led to a left inguinal hernia and brutal repair surgery! Now diagnosed with diverticulitis!! Thank God I no longer pass blood except a rare smear after difficulty

Bladder problems...frequency, esp nights cystitis, and not managed by simply using the basic techniques generally advised, like pelvic floor ex and fluid restrictions before bedtime.

I have had all the scopes endo colono and gsstro. I have a hiatus hernia, and G.O.R.D.

Depression and anxiety. Attending a pain clinic, have had acupuncture  done mindfulness, attend mens prostate groups had counselling, on seven medications, love alone. 

Still alive and trying to enjoy life at 79 years age.

How about you???

• That's an overwhelming list of problems Alex, seems like you are doing ok though in spite of this.

A lot of problems originate in the gut, an interesting book on  the subject, Good Gut Healing by Kathryn Marsden could be worth a look and may help with some of your issues. Ie , constipation, Gord, diverticulitis.

I am doing ok thanks.

Hope all goes well for u in the future.

Regards

Steve

• FormerMember

Thanks Steve. Glad you're o.k.

I am also having further problems with skin cancer. I had a basal cell carcinoma, a bad one and am having a biopsy done on Friday. Palpitations, dizziness, hypertension, and oedema!

There have been other problems, like Campylobacter poisoning, for example.

The Pelvic Radiation Disease Association have been helpful. They h ave meetings.

Best wishes, Alex Ross

• Alex

I'm getting dizzy just looking thru all your additional problems , sounds like u are getting some help though, that's good.

All the best

Steve

• FormerMember

I admire your spirit,   you have a host of unrelated problems, some of which have arisen from the treatment for other problems, i.e. the radiation.

I hope you're getting all the different advices you need for your different issues although the solutions to both your upper and lower gut problems may coincide. 

Perhaps the only additional thing I can suggest is that if you suffer cystitis, you could try using potassium citrate mixture.   However, be careful with this if you have any kidney problems.

There is also a herbal remedy I successfully used for urinary tract problems  which you might try i.e. saw palmetto.  It is a natural anti-inflammatory agent.

Although it may be no consolation, basal cell carcinoma is the least of the skin cancers as compared to the slightly more serious squamous cell and the deadly melanoma.

I wish you well with the biopsy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks U!

I might try the pot. cit.

The professionals urologist and G.P. are my main source. 

Glad to say I agree, the B.C.C. is just one more bother! I have had cryology several times after serious surgery on my forearm. The cryology was on my face like this one is.

Dr. Helena Miranda... How to live well with chronic pain... Has been a big help lately. She explains how the mind plays a major part in our life.

I wish you well!

Thanks again.

• FormerMember

I had the biopsy done on Friday. A relatively small procedure on right ear and cheek, next to the ear. All comes from sun damage, my times in the middle east. Now I have to wait for the results some time in January. 

Have a good Xmas!

• FormerMember

Have a good Christmas