radio therapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi All

I have had six chemotherapy sessions my PSA is down but I have to have six radiotherapy visits has any one had this

• Hi Little man and welcome 

I have had a look at your profile , what does the MRI show, I presume that u have had one?

Steve

• Hi Little Man.

I'm a bit confused by your timeline. Your profile says that you had a biopsy yesterday and you will have a bone scan next week but you also say you have had six sessions of chemo. Some dates in your profile would be useful.

I didn't get chemo just hormone treatment and radiotherapy, so I can't answer your question but I'm sure there are others on here who have been down the same path as you.

Good luck with your treatment.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I've had radiotherapy and a chemotherapy tablet.

I had to wear a mask and for me with being deaf was difficult. I wouldn't go through this again as if it doesn't work first time, everything is repeated again.

For he 6 weeks from Monday  to Friday  and then two more days were an eye opener for me.

I lost all my hair on my left side due to a left temporal tumour, now at stage 4.

The best bit was ringing the bell, everybody applauded.

For me personally being nauseous, life is on hold, no quality of life. It's not for me.

I would rather live in the moment and enjoy what the day brings me.

Cheers 

• Is the radiohterapy to the prostate or to other areas where the cancer may have spread.  A little more information in your profile or in your post would be useful as well as dates because I don't understand why you seem to have had chemo before biopsy and scan?

I had Hormone Treatment (HT)  for 9 months and started 20 sessions of radiotherapy into the prostate (1 every weekday (Mon-Fri for 4 weeks) 6 months into the HT.  Thankfully this seems to have stopped the cancer and nearly 3 years on my PSA is still undetectable.  The radiotherapy was a doddle for me I was told it would affect my bowel and bladder but it only affected my bladder for one night during the radiotherapy and things have been stable since. I suffer from an overactive bladder so the treatment for the prostate cancer made no difference to my urinary habits unfortunately.

Take care,

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Hi,

I have been on HT since diagnosis in Feb and completed 6 cycles of chemo in July - now about to start this week 6 radiotherapy sessions a week apart.

As I understand it, this is a fairly new way of treating incurable PC - there are scientific reports from Oct 18 which can be found on line explaining the science behind the study and the results - TBH I didn't understand a lot of it but it appears that as a result of this study a combination of HT, then chemo, then radiotherapy is the latest standard treatment and apparently delivers positive results for people with Low Metasatic Burden PC.

Kevin