Prostate Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 109 subscribers

On Thursday 24th of October at 10.0pm on Chanel, 4  Bill Turnbull a former TV presenter is on for an hour on how he is dealing with Prostate Cancer.

• Yes, I saw that in the TV mag, can't have been easy to do, sounds like he has been through a lot, suffering from treatment side effects and it is incurable for him.

• We watched last night and have nothing but admiration for Bill and his family and the positivity that came across.

But was a little confused when they said at the end that a PSA of 5 is normal range as my husband's was below this but has aggressive prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 9. 

As a couple we are on this journey together. There is no I in team.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Boatmans Lady

Yes that is confusing!

It seems to depend on what source you use to get the information about what's considered "normal".

Some sources say there is no normal as many things, (non cancerous) can affect it.  Additionally it does get higher as men get older.  Whether it's considered to be a concern or not will depend on other things e.g. race (black men more at risk), family history, medical history (BPH, Prostatitis or "LUTS"), and the result of a digital rectal examination.

I found the following information from a fairly reputable web site which suggests a useful guide.

In general:

• Safe: 0 to 2.5 ng/mL
    • Safe for most: 2.6 to 4 ng/mL. Talk with your doctor about other risk factors
    • Suspicious: 4 to 10 ng/mL. There’s a 25% chance you have prostate cancer.
    • Dangerous: 10 ng/mL and above. Talk to your doctor right away. There’s a 50% chance you have prostate cancer.
  • Uroboros, that guide seems much more in line with what we were told and yes every doctor we have met is surprised at his results, but there are always exceptions to the rule. He is just one of the unlucky ones, but also lucky that our GP was on the ball.

We were just very surprised when they said 5 and under was safe.

As a couple we are on this journey together. There is no I in team.