New Year..

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

So here we are facing a New Year. Just over a year since my wife was “advised we have some sobering news”, and 10 months from confirmation of stage 4 PC.

the spread has reached the spine (L1-3) and she underwent a dose of radiotherapy. Chemotherapy stopped in October as she had an infection, which turned out to be a spinal abscess.

fast forward to today. She has been in the local hospice for a week (save for the weekend back in hospital with a heart rate of over 200!!). They now say the spread that we knew to the lungs has progressed and is pressuring the chest cavity, and she has odema to both legs, and virtually lost all mobility. We are now near the end (hospice said weeks, but seeing the change from yesterday I’ll be surprised if it’s a week).

she has fought hard, and even in a moment of being with it today was asking about our friends upcoming wedding. So hard to have to pretend everything will improve, when I am not sure quite how aware she is. On the other hand, we have family travelling down to see her in a few days and she asked if they were only coming because she is dying..

am I cruel in now asking the hospice to restrict her visitors? So many people want to go and see her, but these are people she has not seen for 6 or more months, and I don’t think it’s fair for her to have to see them when she is not looking as she would like - Tufty (her name for the wig) is currently on sabbatical at home, and she has continued her weight loss (now almost 6 stone).

just don’t know the best way to make everything as comfortable for her as I can - to me it’s all about her not other peoples feelings or views?

• Hello Scotties24

i am sorry to hear your wife is now in the hospice but I am sure that the care there will be excellent.

Even towards the very end of his life my husband spoke of future events and I really see no harm in having those sort of discussions.

You ask whether you should ask the hospice to restrict visitors. I think it’s up to you to decide either in discussion with your wife or on behalf of her what is best. It may very well be that for some of these visitors they are satisfying their need rather than your wife’s wishes. If you feel that turn them gently away. Your wife is the most important person here.

i hope the next few days are peaceful for you.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Scottie’s,

I lost my Dad from PC one month ago and we continued to talk about my daughters wedding later this year. We wanted to give him some hope, even though I suspect he already knew it was too late.

In terms of visitors, when it became apparent he was deteriorating, we restricted them to immediate family as he was losing lots of weight, unable to get out of bed for the loo or take any food.  We felt his dignity was at stake and wanted friends and other family members to remember him as he was, not how this awful disease had left him. We stand by this even now. Only you will know whether the family travelling to see your wife are very close to her or as you say, because she is dying.

I wish you nothing but peace, this is a difficult journey but you will be ok.

mm