Diagnosed yesterday

• 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

I had a squidgy tiny pink mark on my face just above my left eyebrow that I alerted the gp too in Feb. I got this cut out in March and yesterday I was back for results.

the dermatologist said melanoma ! No mention of a stage ? So she feels she has removed it all but I will be passed over to the plastic surgeons who will go in further and remove more of the area. 
I then had a body check by a nurse who spotted two again small marks on my left shoulder I have no idea how long these have been there. So she took some pictures and has added them to my file and sent them off to the team that will do my next step.

I am now frantic with worry that my shoulder area has been the main area that has gone unnoticed for god knows how long and the cancer has travelled up to above my eyebrow ? Does this make sense ? So will that mean my lymp nodes on my neck are affected? 
The dermatologist reckons I will be seen again within two weeks for the surgeon to open up the area. 

thanks . Any advice would be great as I feel worried sick with the unknown x 

• Hi Amccl, Since you don't know the stage, I would call the dermatologist and ask her to tell you over the phone or send you the pathology report. This website has good info on what to expect based on the stage. You may be restaged after the next excision, so to prepare for your next visit, I'd write down my questions for the surgeon. For example, ask how large an area of skin on your forehead will be removed, will you need a graft, and will a sentinel lymph node biopsy need to be performed. After your procedure, you will be followed up regularly by your dermatologist every 3 to 6 months depending on the stage. 

Wishing you a good outcome!

Cindy

Melanoma Stage 4
  • Thank you for replying, so my head a skin graft won’t be required a skin flap will be ample was what she said. She did explain the every 3 months back at the dermatologist. My main worry now is the two marks they found during the body check so hopefully these will be further investigated when the surgeon sees me x 

• Hi and a second welcome to the online community and to the melanoma group in particular

I was diagnosed with melanoma over 4 years ago now and I wasn't told what stage I was either, although my consultant did tell me what the Breslow thickness of my melanoma was. It was only when I came on here that I realised that melanoma was staged. I suppose all I was worried about initially was the upcoming wide local excision (WLE), which is the further surgery your dermatologist has mentioned, and whether or not to have the optional sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB). I think that the latter is only offered if your melanoma is 0.8mm deep or more.

I had a further lesion removed at the same time as my WLE but it turned out to be totally harmless and I'll keep my fingers crossed that yours is too.

When you meet the plastic surgeon ask how long results are currently taking to come back after a WLE in your area of the country. I find it's less stressful if I know when and how to expect them. The average is about 2-4 weeks and I had mine at the 2 week mark when I went back for the surgeon to check that the wounds were healing okay.

It would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"