Living with a PICC Line

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi, I've made the decision that my crappy veins won't cope with a year of immunotherapy and so am getting a PICC line before my next treatment on 17th Feb.

I wondered if I could ask advice on what I can and can't do with one.

As I work in a fairly active job I have regular chiropractor sessions to help my back, do you know if I can still have these with a PICC line?

I also run, I have seen lots of people say you can walk with them in buy can't do weights (understandable) but what about running?? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Hi . I am not a member of this group, so can't comment on your treatment, but I did have a PICC line in for many months for my own treatment. I didn't feel it going in. After insertion, you usually have a quick x ray to check it is in place. The main advice we are given is no heavy lifting, nothing heavier than a kettle. Gentle exercise including running ( not sprinting) is advised as general fitness helps cope with treatments. You need to keep the dressing dry. You can buy waterproof sleeves, but I made do with clingflm in the shower. I also bought a roll of tubigrip, you know the elastic bandage, and cut a fresh piece off each day to keep things tidy. The line needs to be flushed weekly. If I was not at the hospital, I had an arrangement with the local practice nurse at the GP surgery, but this might now be difficult with all the precautions. Flushing is painless. To be honest, it is really common sense. You will be aware of it for a while, but then you tend to forget about it. Not sure about the chiropractor, so you would need professional advice on that. The nurse will give you plenty of advice when you have it fitted. Best of all, no more needles. I hope it all goes well for you. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to rily

Thanks for replying, I like your idea of getting some extra tube bandage so that's great feedback.

I'll definitely be lifting more than a kettle in my job but they know that and still suggested would be a good idea so hopefully it's not quite as restrictive now. 

Will ask them about chiropractor at the appointment but might try and squeeze a treatment in before then just in case Thumbsup