Sciatica pain before diagnosis

• 14 replies
  • 133 subscribers

hi there

I wonder if any one can help?

Did anyone have sciatic type pain in their hip, back, leg and feet prior to diagnosis?

Did you also have headaches that would just not go away ?

I’m a stage 3 thyroid cancer survivor, and have been having these sciatic type pains for about 4months now and it’s looking like a problem with my colon now.

i know the colonoscopy is the test to have and I’m having it soon.

any experience and info greatly appreciated 

none of us should have to deal with this horrible disease

• Hi ,

Welcome to the forum . I can’t answer your question directly but just going to pop this post back to the top of the forum for others to see .

From observation a few people do report back pressure and pain . But that’s as much help as I can be .

Glad you are getting the correct investigations . Is it the rectal area you are having issues with ?

take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi court and thanks for the reply,

To be honest with you im getting nowhere with my gp, been to and throw for nearly 2 years.

i get cramping pains in my stomach and sciatica type pain in my pelvic area and down to my feet. No blood in stool or weight loss, it’s the pain that’s causing me problems.

GP states cancer doesn’t cause pain, but I know a friend of a friend , who had no pain then wham ..stage 4 bowel cancer, left us in 4 months.

my own fight when I eventually got referred ( after 2yrs of symptoms) to get diagnosed with stage 3 thyroid cancer, doesn’t give me much confidence in GPS.

i hope someone else can add to your thoughts, thanks again

• Perhaps you should show your GP Macmillan’s list of symptoms where pain is mentioned in the abdomen or back passage . I find that comment very concerning .

The other thing some people find helpful is to have a look at the NICE guidelines for referral protocols and highlight to your GP or Consultant which areas of the criteria you think requires action . Sometimes letting them know you are informed does help .

We also have a helpline here 0808 808 0000 if you want to chat any aspect through with them and you can also try the search function for older posts who may have experienced it .

Let is know how you get on ,

Take care,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thanks again Court, will do.

ive had ct abdomen and pelvis with contrast twice and it’s come back clear both times, but I guess if they are not looking at the bowel when the radiologist looks at the scans it could be missed, could it ?

ive had ultrasound and mri, hernias,bladder and prostate tests ... all clear so far,  there’s not much else it could be is there lower left abdomen and groin?

i did press the gp on it being the bowel, and that’s when I got the comment that colon cancer doesn’t cause pain.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to stephenhat

Stephenhat,

I am new to this, was diagnosed with rectal cancer March 28. The abdomen and lower pelvis should tell them if there is something there. My MRI was considered pelvis and covered the colon and rectum. I would think a colonoscopy would also be the test to determine as that gave the size of the tumor in the rectum and my colon was clear, polyps were removed and tested fine.

Keep asking and good luck,

Lana

• Thanks for the reply Lana,

the doctors tell me that if it was big enough to cause pain it would have shown up on the scans, they are now saying there’s no need for a colonoscopy. 

It really is a struggle for the them to take it seriously.

did you suffer from any type of sciatic pain? I have it both legs all the time.

What treatment have you had ?

• FormerMember

stephenhat

I haven't had pain, just a small amount of blood in the stool which was the reason for the colonoscopy.

I start chemo tomorrow and radiation on Monday for five weeks (scared), then wait eight weeks for surgery and chemo after the surgery for four months twice per month.

It did show with the colonoscopy, MRI and then a Pet scan. I would keep pushing and maybe even try a different Dr. as you are the one that knows the pain and wants to find the reason. I also had a scope - simple procedure in the Drs. office and the Dr. didn't agree with the size from the MRI which called for another colonoscopy, this started March 28th and I finally have  definite answers after six weeks.

I hope you find the answers to the pain although all of the scans did show the tumor in my case. I will continue to follow your progress.

Lana

• Hi Lana 

thanks again for your reply.

im wondering if I’m getting the pain because it’s already spread to my hip/bones.

But then if it had spread surely it would have been big enough to have shown up on the ct abdomen and pelvis scan, I’m at a loss GPs refusing a colonoscopy 

im getting the pain in both hips and down to both feet, it’s like someone stabbing my toes and soles with a sharp knife.

I did have small haemorrhoids last May after lots of blood in my stool, but the blood has stopped.

Although, overall the pain has got a lot worse and constant, and spreading.

I wish you all the best with your chemo & radiation,,difficult times we shouldn’t have to endure

• FormerMember

Hello,

I was diagnosed with colon cancer on Mar 21, after a colonosopy.  Then surgery on Apr 15.  The symptoms I had for 3 months were spikes of very high blood pressure, and heart palpitations.   They are both a kind of pain caused by the tumor.  So yes, cancer causes pain.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Stephenhat, before my diagnosis I has horrendous sciatic pain down my right leg, but I also had appendix pain too, my cancer was diagnosed in A&E , previously my GP said it was wind