Flare up.

• 4 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hello folk,

I finished my treatment 2 years ago next June. All my check ups have been good apart from one, where they discovered it was scar tissue, thank God. I had my last check up about 6 weeks ago, it didn’t seem too thorough, finger up bum but briefly. He ordered an MRI and CT scan (routine)  

Since then, I feel as if I’ve gone back 18 months! I am having low stomach aches, frequent runs to the loo, sometimes not making it in time, and occasional follow through a of that horrid dischargy stuff. I seem to go for a couple of days without going & then all hell gets loose!  

I do suffer with IBS & I think they often get mixed up. With the dreadful situation we are all in, heaven knows when I will get the scan. Has anybody else had a similar experience? 

I do hope everyone is bearing up during this time. We are all strong, having been or going through what we all have. Stay safe and strong. 

Pam 

• Hi Pam (),

As you probably know I’m at the same stage as you I’ll have been out of treatment 2 years in June too. Although slightly different symptoms I’ve suffered an unsettling period recently too. Mine began with a day of constipation, this lead to almost unbearable soreness internally & externally, I couldn’t sit for long & the thought of going to the loo terrified me! The pain I had was so bad that I convinced myself there was something more sinister going on. I was back to taking painkillers, albeit only paracetamol, 3-4 times a day. Like you I had very recently had a check-up but mine was very thorough & I tried to keep reminding myself of the confidence my oncologist had that everything was good, he actually put me onto 6 monthly checks but it was really difficult at times as this went on for a couple of weeks. This has now resolved itself but I had to crank up my softeners to make sure I didn’t get constipated again. 

I know things are a little difficult in the current climate but would you be able to possibly give your oncologist or surgeon a ring just to give yourself a little reassurance that it’s nothing to worry about? I can imagine that stressing about what’s causing this flare up is probably not helping your bowels as I know my GP once explained to me, concerning my youngest daughter, that stress has an impact on our bowels often causing diarrhoea but having gone through what we have we can’t help but worry can we? 

Hope you get some answers & things settle down again soon.

Nicola

• Pam, I am so sorry to hear this.   I have admired you from afar for the way you have coped and loved reading your blog.   I do hope things  settle down soon and you get to speak to someone and do not have to wait too long for your scans.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago at 72.   My treatment finished 3 years ago in July.   I am now onto 6 monthly appointments, no scans just examination.   My last one coincided with the lockdown so I contacted the hospital and had a telephone call from the consultant who is really lovely and I hope to see him in July.I

I have lots of ups and downs with bowel movements and have mentioned this but mostly told it's the norm!   I also have IBS so it is often difficult to know what it is.    I try to be positive but deep down I worry which may have an effect on my gut.   I seem to be ok for a week or two then either 'go' more than usual or don't go!   Both events make me feel uncomfortable!

I have read in the Macmillan book 'late effects of radiotherapy' that these things can happen some time after treatment and I remember the lovely District Nurses telling me the bowel didn't like the radiation and would sometimes let you know!

Do take care and keep us informed xx

• Thanks very much for your kind words. I don’t think any of us are free from worry all the time, especially when our tum & bum start to misbehave! 

I have also read that the treatment can have pretty long lasting effects. I am generally so well & do such a lot. I do worry when things are not working properly. Visions of the wretched big C getting a firm grip, although realistically I know that is probably not the case. I don’t think it helps with the present scary situation we are all in. How I feel for the people who are in the middle or just finishing their treatment. 

I’m pleased you enjoyed my blog. It does seem a long time ago now! 

All the very best,

Pam 

Lady Tourelle

• Hi Nicola,

thanks for your message which I’ve only just seen. It is always comforting to hear of others’ experiences. 
    I suspect a lot of it is due to stress, I don’t think any of us can not be worried about the present situation. My daughter and her husband are doctors on the front line, I do worry about them. 

I’m sure this will calm down soon. Let’s hope the dreaded virus goes too!

Many thanks & best wishes,

Pam 

Lady Tourelle