Questions

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 38 subscribers

hi everyone 

I had vulvar SCC diagnosed back in October 17. This was removed via surgery as it was only small margins. 

The last couple of months I’ve noticed a change in my bowel habits, I’ve not had a “normal” poo, I’ve a sense of urgency and I’ve constantly got piles. 

The histology report from the SCC showed that it was on a background of AIN3, but no one has ever dealt with this. I feel like I’m constantly at my GP because I’ve had pelvic pain since the vulvar operation and they put me into menopause so between all that I feel like I’m a hypochondriac! 

My last appointment with my GP was last week as I’ve issues with my smears so she was referring me to colposcopy. She then touched on the anal aspect and I said my bowel habits have changed but she didn’t let me go any further she simply said we will deal with one thing at a time. 

Should I push a bit harder as I’m convinced something is not right “down there”. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

I’m sorry you’ve had to go through vulvar cancer, I know it’s very rare and I congratulate you on being a survivor. 

Once you’ve experienced cancer I think I you’re on high alert to any changes, probably for the rest of your life. Totally understandable and you’re doing the right thing by flagging the changes in your body.

It’s good that your doctor is referring you however, it’s very easy for her to say “one thing at a time.” Not particularly helpful when you know these types of cancers are rare and can therefore, be mis-diagnosed. 

6 months prior to my AC diagnosis I visited my GP to discuss my symptoms, mainly what I thought was a hemmerroid. She agreed and sent me away with creams. Sadly she mis-diagnosed me and when my cancer was found it was advanced. I can’t change the past but I often wonder, if I’d pushed harder, would I have been staged lower. I’ll never know, it is what it is. 

I am not saying this to scare you or to suggest that you have AC. However, you are clearly worried and need some more action or re-assurance. Don’t worry about being a hypochondriac, you’re allowed to be, you’ve had cancer. 

I suppose you have 2 options wait for the colposcopy and results or arrange another GP appt so you can clearly express your concerns and worries about AC. 

I would also suggest you email our anal cancer surgeon  You can email him directly using the ‘ask an expert’ function at the top of this page. If you explain your history, symptoms etc he will email you back with his professional view. 

Good luck with it all, I’m sure there’s nothing sinister going on but I totally understand your worry. I hope you can gain some reassurance soon. 

Let us know how you get on. 

• Sarah gives excellent advice as I well know!

If it were me I would be contacting the oncology  team or surgical team direct.   I imagine you still have regular follow ups?   You could contact them through their secretary.

I am 2 years on from treatment for anal cancer with my last MRI due in August.    My lovely colorectal surgeon told me to contact him via his secretary if I had any concerns between appointments.   Luckily I have not had to do this.

Like Sarah I had lots of GP appointments over a few months before I was sent to hospital and I often wonder......

Hopefully there will be a simple answer to your problem but once you have 'been there'  you are always on high alert.!

Good luck

Beryl

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Yorkshire OAP

Thank you Beryl 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you Sarah, I’ll ring the GP on Monday 

• Hi

I’m sorry that you’re having more symptoms especially after all you’ve been through already.

I agree with both Sarah’s advice & also Beryls. You know your own body best, if you suspect there is something not quite right & you’re displaying symptoms then push to be checked out, if your GP is referring you to gynaecology for the colposcopy & wants to deal with this first then am I right  in presuming you’re followed up surgically if not by oncology for your previous SCC? If this is correct then make your surgeon/oncologist aware of the symptoms you’re experiencing & hopefully someone will be able to put your mind at rest. As Beryl has mentioned many AC’s are misdiagnosed to begin with & at least if you’re checked out & at the very least examined internally then you’ll get a definitive answer & hopefully it’ll be nothing to worry about & you can relax.

I hope you get some answers very soon as we all know the anxiety the waiting around causes is no joke! 

Nicola 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Thanks Nicola, I live in Ireland so unfortunately it’s always a long wait.. 4 weeks for urgent colposcopy and the 4/6 weeks for results. Currently smears are taking 6 months for results.

Ive not mentioned any of my concerns with my oncology team as my next check up is October and I’ve not emailed for the same reasons that I feel like a hypochondriac. Would the Gynae oncology look at AC ? 

• Hi again 

I can only speak from my own experience but my oncologist & surgeon (I had my tumour removed via surgery before having a reduced course of chemoradiotherapy) have always told me if I have any concerns before my next appointment to contact them anytime. If, because they’re gynae oncology, they wouldn’t look into your concerns about AC I’m sure they could get you seen by someone that could.

Also don’t ever feel like you’re a hypochondriac, like all of us here you’ve been through a horrendously stressful, traumatic time & it makes us all ultra aware of what’s going on with our bodies! I know I for one have had several aches/pains checked out with my GP since my diagnosis, surgery & treatment & I’m lucky to have been seen by some lovely doctors.

Maybe as Sarah previously suggested contact the (Missing Group) & maybe the doctor there could offer some additional advice? 

Let us know how you get on. 

Nicola