Tummy upset!

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi I'm 2 years on from treatment and doing fine, glad to be here and grateful to the NHS and this wonderful forum.I

Since treatment I have had eratic bowel symptoms, needing the toilet more often etc which I have learned to cope with.    My next and possibly last MRI is in September with an appointment with the Consultant a few weeks later.

10 days ago I started with an upset tum, the first I have had since treatment.   I followed the normal treatment of lots of liquids, rehydration sachets, dry toast etc.   I saw my GP who sent off  sample which came back as. normal.   She told me this bug could last up to 3  weeks.    I felt so weak but am now feeling a bit better and trying to reintroduce other light foods.

I do have a mild form of IBS too but wonder if the way the bowel was affected by the pelvic radiotherapy has an effect on us when we have a tummy bug.   Does it make it harder to cope?

Any advice would be very welcome thanks

Beryl

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am 13 months post treatment and also have an eratic bowel. Things have improved greatly over the last year and like you I have adapted and just got used to things.

I now have more bowel movements per day. Depending on what I eat, I will go to the loo between 2-5 times a day. Pre-treatment I’d go once every 48 hours. I also have urgency with the first movement of the day, thereafter I can hold things. I haven’t been ill since my treatment finished (touch wood) however, if I drink alcohol or eat fibre things become exacerbated. So I would imagine that if I were to get a tummy bug, things would become even more exacerbated and I’d have to be within close proximity of a toilet at all times.

I had a check-up recently. My oncologist told me my bowel is probably the best it will ever be, it will never return to how it was. He told me that the bowel is very sensitive and doesn’t like being meddled with. So our symptoms are definitely down to the radiation and I suppose we’ll always have a weak area that will be overly sensitive to things like tummy bugs, IBS etc.

I haven’t changed my diet that much. I no longer eat red meat and I take a good quality pro-biotic. I sometimes deliberately eat or drink certain things to bring on a movement. Coffee for example in the morning tends to get things moving and then I don’t have to worry about running out of my class at the gym!

I’m not sure if I’ve helped you but be assured that you’re not the only one living with an eratic bowel.

All the best. 

Sarah x

• Thanks for that Sarah.   I think we have 'chatted' about our eratic bowels in the past haha!

I can go several times a day and always home in on where to find toilets when I am out, although there is no urgency.

The district nurses told me the same as your oncologist about the effects on the bowel.   My GP seemed to be unconcerned about my bug, particularly as the sample was clear.   I feel perfectly ok but it seems to be taking  a while to clear up.

Funnily enough my GP said it could take up to 3 months to clear which she quickly cbanged to 3 weeks!   Possibly after she had picked me up off the floor!!!I

Thanks again and all the best 

Beryl