starting chemo annd radiotherapy

• 1 reply
  • 33 subscribers

i'm starting treatment soon. 1 dose mitomycin IV then capecitabine oral. has anyone else had this combination and if so what side effects did you get..also did anyone have swelling..one doctor said i should have stoma bag because the swelling would cause problems going to the toilet and could cause bowel to rupture ..second doctor disagreed

• There are many of us on this forum that have had this combination of treatment including myself. Reactions to the chemo side of the treatment regime varies from person to person, I had very few side effects, my hair thinned a little, not that anyone else would notice, I took the anti-sickness meds provided but in hindsight I didn’t really need them & didn’t renew the prescription when I’d finished the first pack, I still ate normally throughout & had a decent appetite for the majority of the time. The treatment does cause fatigue for most people & I found my energy levels were really low some days but I just listened to my body & rested when needed. I didn’t have a stoma, I think it depends on size & location of the tumour as to whether a stoma is advisable, many are reversible once through the other side of treatment. 

Nicola