Recurring Cellulitis in Radiotherapy Area

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi again, 

I had chemo-radiotherapy back in Sept / October 19 for squamous cell cancer of the anus and then two lymph nodes removed from my groin last year, thankfully last 3 scans have all been cancer clear.  However I have a recurring problem with cellulitis around my perianal area, twice resulting in hospitalisation and IV antibiotics and the last 3 times I've recognised the symptoms and managed to clear it with a course of antibiotics.  I think I have it yet again which is great as we're going on holiday on Sunday! Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and how you manage it.  Thanks in advance, Sarah x

• Hi and congratulations on your scan results, such a relief isn't it. I haven't personally experienced cellulitis but a relative of mine has after undergoing radiotherapy.  I'm sure you are aware this can be a very serious condition if left untreated so please get onto your GP asap for further antibiotics. I would imagine that it is difficult for you to control given the area it keeps occurring in, it will be inflamed by the radiation and it is an area prone to bacteria sliding through cracks in the skin.  I understand that with recurring cellulitis low dose antibiotics are sometimes prescribed.  It's important to keep you immune system healthy to also stave off future attacks, so have a think about your diet and whether you can improve it at all. Enjoy your holiday,  Bev 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to 1in1500

Thank you so much Bev, I’ll be on to the doctors in the morning.  Good night, Sarah x

• Hi ,

Congratulations on your scan results, as Bev has said the relief is immense when you hear those results isn’t it?

I don’t know an awful lot about cellulitis to be honest other than it being an infection of deep underlying tissue & treatment being antibiotics. As Bev has said it’s always worth trying to optimise your immune system especially if you’re suffering recurring infections, I try & do this by cutting out refined sugars, most processed foods & by taking a good dose of active probiotics in the form of live goats milk kefir each morning. 

I really hope you get sorted & have a lovely holiday. 

Nicola