What to eat during treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 34 subscribers

I start Chemo and Radiation Monday for Stage 3c anal carcinoma and my biggest question is what do people find appealing to eat during the 6 wk treatment. I've read a lot but there is some conflicting info between chemo and radiation. Any recommendations so I can prepare what might be needed/wanted during my treatment

• I found the first two weeks I could eat as usual.  When I started having side effects, I mostly ate toast, bagels, pasta (no sauce), rice, bananas, app!e sauce, grilled chicken, graham crackers, and eggs.  I also drank mostly water, diluted cranberry juice, and decaf tea.  I could also tolerate creamy peanut butter (for some protein) I lost my taste for coffee and diary.  I'm three weeks post treatment and am just starting to add new foods, one at a time go see what agrees with me.  Good luck to you.  Believe it or not, once treatment started, the time passed quickly.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Amyjack

Thank you so much! I've read different things but it's good to know what another's experience was. What about smoothies? Non dairy. For some reason right now I see myself wanting them but not sure if I'll actually want them when it all starts. Was there a lot of nausea?

• I didn't have nausea.  Diarrhea was my issue, and still is a bit.  The nutritionist told me to only eat canned peaches, pears, carrots, and string beans. All other fruits and veggies, except bananas and app!esauce , would make the diarrhea worse.  Unfortunately for me, I couldn't tolerate the canned items.   I was able to eat baked potatoes, without eating the skin.  I think it's because the skin on fruits and potatoes have too much fiber.

• Hi  and welcome to the Group. People tend to report diarrhoea and loose stools during the chemo radiotherapy although some people suffer constipation. I felt nauseous in the first week of treatment but took anti-nausea tablets which really helped. I ate quite bland food, toast, chicken,fish and potatoes. I’d have the occasional piece of fruit or vegetables but as I had diarrhoea during treatment I was careful with what I ate. I made the mistake of eating a Chinese meal 3 weeks into treatment and it was back out 20 minutes later. I avoided caffeine too. As  says the treatment really does pass quickly. Please come back on with any more queries during or after treatment. We have a wealth of knowledge between us all in the group in relation to treatment,side effects and tips, general advice and also if you just want to vent. Emotions can be so difficult to deal with at this time. All the best. Bev. 

• Hi ,

It’s great to hear you have a date for the start of your treatment. I ate pretty much as normal throughout my treatment. Following my diagnosis I ate super healthy (knee jerk reaction to a massive health scare!) & I also ate plenty of veg & supplemented with extra fibre as I unconventionally suffered constipation throughout. I suffered no nausea at all although my appetite was a little reduced but in hindsight that was probably due to the stress that came along with diagnosis & the whirlwind that follows. 

As has already been said please ask if there’s anything else we can support you with. 

Nicola