Going away in advance of allogenic stem cell transplant

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Trying to get get a holiday in before my husband goes in for ASCT at the end of April. He has relapsed MCL, currently on Ibrutinib, totally well and no symptoms but travel insurance say no as this is a new planned treatment. Can anybody help who has had this situation please? 

• Hi , I am sure that the group members won't mind if I drop in past.

I am Mike  and I help out in our dedicated Stem Cell Transplant group where folks from many blood cancers - support each other on the Stem Cell Transplant Rollercoaster.

An Allo Stem Cell Transplant (I have had 2 with cells from my brother) is a rather unique and very demanding treatment so talking with folks who have walked the walk can help a lot.

Just follow the link I have created then hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

I would think that Insurance Companies will not be forthcoming...... especially if you have declared that his journey is going into an Allo Stem Cell Transplant as they are very risk averse when they hear or even guess that SCT is required. Unfortunately most companies will see SCT to mean they see him not great medically.....even although he is at the moment.

We were in the exact same position before, during and after my two Allo SCTs and Insurance Companies would not even give us a silly quote.

In fact, my team did not allow me out of the UK or in a flight for over two hears post my treatments...... but we found some great places that we had not visited in the UK.

It took 2 years post my second SCT before I was given an Insurance Quote that was not silly.

I will keep an eye open for you in the set group.

My friend  would most likely post this information:

Unfortunately it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the member's stories thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance broker might want to knowwhen you're applying for insurance. Some insurers might ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks very much For this - as depressing as it is maybe a reality check is needed! He had the auto stem cell previously and we didn’t have a problem, although didn’t try to go away directly before Or for a year after. Macmillan raised the option of going with insurance that does not cover the lymphoma and this maybe an option as it is generally the children who use the travel insurance... thank you for all the links I will definitely tap into them. Thanks again Blush

• Hi again, it is important to remember that an Allo SCT does carry more complications that an Auto SCT as his body will its best to kill off the donor cells.

A break is good for the wellbeing and would help set him up for the Allo SCT.

I will look out for you in the Stem Cell Transplant.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names..... like

Have a great weekend.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi not sure if its been mentioned but have his doctors marked his file fit to travel abroad? without this no one will offer insurance, a long shot if he is allowed is if you book a holiday via euro tunnel you may be able to buy their insurance which used to be used by many of us before they introduced changes that stopped anyone from getting it when not travelling with them.

Also depending on his employment sometimes the are offers for public sector works, I use it now and don't have to go through any screening, just have to be fit to travel and not have a terminal diagnosis, which I don't. 

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to johnr

Hi john - thanks for your comment - my husband is public sector too so that sounds really good - we will check it out Blush

• Hi have sent a friends request so I can email the link to you and then you can follow up

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to johnr

Thanks so much you are a star - Louise