Existing policies

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi, I took out a multi trip policy in June (pre diagnosis wasn't even seeing a GP for any symptoms) 

I have a trip booked for early October that I'm hoping I can still go on, doubtful any treatment will of been started so will just mean I'm taking an extra passenger (tumour) with me. If doctor clears me to travel do I have to update existing medical conditions? I can't find any information in policy and I'm reluctant to say anything in case I am covered by existing policy but it prompts them to charge extra.. 

Regards

Varmint

• Hi  and welcome to the travel insurance group

I can understand your dilemma but I'm also surprised that you can't find anything in your existing policy about whether you need to advise them or not. I must admit that I thought that all policies would state that you need to advise them if there is a change in your health, or if you're waiting for the results of tests or the start of treatment. Certainly ones I've had in the past have stipulated this.

This is the advice from Macmillan on how cancer can affect you getting travel insurance.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

In my opinion honesty is always the best policy. Your policy was in place before your diagnosis and any  GP records will show that.

Im certain in the small print it will say you must inform them of  any changes. You may well have to pay a supplement next time you renew

Hopefully you have a good holiday 

• Just to add to my previous reply , if you decide not to tell your insurers and then have to claim, even if it's not related to your recent diagnosis, they might refuse to pay out as you haven't disclosed your full medical history.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you, I'd rather tell them and I will try to contact them once I know I can go! It's just silly little things that go through your mind Smile