Recently diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

I’m new to this forum but looking for any info people can share.  3 weeks ago my dad aged 72 was diagnosed with MDS RARS over the last bank holiday weekend he was admitted into hospital with dangerously high calcium levels and very low magnesium levels.the Drs say he was lucky he got there when he did. He’s still in hospital, and had ct scans, mri, ultrasound and an endoscopy. He’s been on constant iv antibiotics, phosphate and other fluids yesterday we received more devastating news that he has oesophagus cancer and cancer of the liver, other than them telling him he’s not fit enough to have an operation due to other health issues we are unsure what stage it’s at and if any treatments  is available.  Is this common ..to be given a diagnosis and having to wait 3 or 4 days for the prognosis to say we are heartbroken is an understatement but the not knowing is adding more pain.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear the problems your dad is having.

This is a hard time for your dad, you and all of the family and the waiting for information can be hard.

Your questions about the time it has taken for you to get all the clear information? - This is not unusual as his case may well have had to go before the weekly MDT meeting were all the heads of various departments look at the very best way forward for him.

But keep pushing his team for answers as a clear plan can help reduce the noise in the head.

Talking with people who are on the same journey will help a lot. Have a look at these forums where you can connect with others supporting family and friends through their cancer journey: Carers Forum and Friends and Family Forum

Follow the links and join the groups. Hit the 'Start a Discussion' tab and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you put in this first post and remember to go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

Should he be put on treatment for any of the conditions we do have support groups that are Cancer specific so you can have a look through the list of groups.

You may also find our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 to be very helpful even if all you want to do is talk with friendly person that can help in lots of ways.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’ section but please allow a few days to get an reply.

We also have our Online Information and Support Section where you will find some great pages covering the cancer diagnosis, treatment and information pages covering most types of cancers - just go to the bottom of the home page and have a look through the list.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

If you haven't yet completed your profile when you have a minute could you pop something about your journey so far into it. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine profile by clicking on my username.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge