Grumpy and frustrated

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 42 subscribers

After radiotherapy (palliative) last year when I was looked after by a truly wonderful oncologist I am now back with the ENT department under a surgical consultant.

He is truly unapproachable and we'll miserable.  He told me my tumour would not respond to chemotherapy or radiotherapy and that surgery would be "mutilation".

The tumour did respond and shrank but I don't know how much as they (he) won't give me a PET scan as there is nothing more they can do for me.  When my vocal cord became paralyzed he matter of factly told me that the cancer had possibly spread to my lung and asked why I wanted a scan as there is nothing more they can do for me. After keeping me in the dark about the results for about 4 weeks and over Christmas I finally got an answer from the cancer nurses, it had not spread but the CT scan doesn't show the difference between cancerous cells and necrosis so I still don't know about the tumour.  Saw another doctor, think I was being punished for daring the chase up my results ( no punishment for me only relief at not having to see him) who said the nerve to the vocal cord was probably damaged during healing.

Last appointment was over the phone with himself, I mentioned a new earache and asked if this could also be nerve damage, he said no it would be caused by the cancer and asked if I was losing weight, didn't seem to believe me when I said I wasn't.

Next appointment is Wednesday again phone, I just don't want to talk to him as he makes me feel like just giving up. Until I injured my calf the other week I had been running 20 miles a week.

My GP was up for getting me a second opinion but then was happy I had the CT scan even though it doesn't give the true picture about the tumour. 

Sorry for moaning

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

That is so frustrating! My daughter had the same experience. She waited two hours for the phone call that never came from the serious allergies clinic. When she followed it up, they said the doctor had called and next time could she pick up. She was fuming. Next call booked for May 7. She’ll be at home so at least there’s a landline they can call. 

I can’t do much other than sympathise 

xxx

• FormerMember

Hi Cancer mum thats awful how have you been treated.Write down everything like a diary with dates.Also you can request from your phone network provider a statement of incoming or missed calls as a proof that they didnt call you and you can use it.

Janet

• FormerMember

Seriously, as if anyone would miss a call like that!?

Lets hope he didn’t leave a message on the wrong number....

Sorry that you had that experience , it’s completely unacceptable and definitely worth making a complaint.

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nicky Nosher

Thanks Nicky

Been looking, does anyone know if Rutherford is any good ?