Coming out to a family member with cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

I identify as asexual and non-binary. I'm mostly out to everyone (friends, colleagues etc.) except most of my family members, because they are very religious and LGBT+ phobic.

My dad has leukaemia and he's been feeling worse lately. I've been thinking about coming out to him and the rest of my family for a while, but I was always too scared to do it, because my dad is very seriously Catholic and very homophobic and transphobic. But I'm his child and I want him to accept me and see me as the person I really am. I'm just not sure it would be the right thing to do. I know your child coming out to you as LGBT+ can be difficult to deal with even when you're healthy, so I'm not sure if I should really do it to someone who is terminally ill. Does anyone have any similar experience?

• Hi

My son's gay and I have been living with cancer for the past 14 years. He told me 2 years ago.

Apart from that, my experience is probably nothing like you n your dad tbh.

But if u want to talk, please send me a friend request n we can private message.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.