Preparing for first chemo session

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

I am going to have my first chemo session (for small cell lung cancer) next week. Does anyone have any hints and or tips about how to prepare for it?  

• Hi . I am not familiar with the chemo you will be having, but just some general tips. It can be along day in the chair so wear loose and comfortable clothes. They usually give you tea and a sandwich, but not very appetising, so take plenty of drinks and snacks. Something to keep you occupied. Some people take ear plugs, so they can have a nap. Although you may be on a drip for a long time, it is not chemo all the time. Most of the time it is just a saline drip to keep you hydrated. If you are given anti sickness pills, take them as prescribed. They are designed to stop nausea. Chemo lounges are normally friendly and upbeat and not full of gloom as you may expect. Get the first one out of the way and you will be fine. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi FannyThe Wcat,

It's daunting isn't it. I am 2 weeks since starting chemo....but probably a different version to what you will be having. I found the info made it sound worse than it was. They have to tell you everything that can go wrong but the info as to what proportion of people get a side effect and when they

get it just isn't available. So it is a case of being prepared and taking each day as it comes. But I have managed to get out and walk the dog virtually every day apart from the first 3 days

There were various things I did in advance. I guess they are practical things, health things and mental well being things. I have just posted a blog that details everything I did (Sue456 Travels with an alien. Countdown-preparing for chemo).

They are not necessarily recommendations...just what felt right for me. 

Very best wishes to you, stay strong,

Sue

Sue