Secondary Liver Cancer

• 4 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My lovely husband was diagnosed with secondary liver cancer on 30 September and had confirmation of primary as his stomach on 7 October. He was offered chemotherapy which he accepted and started his first session on 31 October with no adverse effects and went on to his second on 21 November. Within the week he was suffering horrendous diahorrea which we now know was a result of his body not producing a certain enzyme but he was in hospital for 2 weeks in which time he was diagnosed with 2 pulmonary embolisms so was admitted to CCU. Finally got the diahorrea sorted and was discharged from hospital 16 December, no further chemotherapy as oncologist said it would probably kill him.  Sadly he has not picked up as we had hoped, and is just getting weaker and weaker. We are now waiting for fluid to be drained from his abdomen in the hope that it will help with regaining some strength and mobility. How can my strong fit man just disappear before my eyes in such a sort period of time and how can I find the strength to carry on when it is breaking my heart - I know the answer is I have to. 

• Hello. I feel your pain. My husband has the same. Stomach cancer spread to stomach cavity and liver. We were told on 8th January (2 days ago).  They’ve said be can’t have Chemo as his liver too damaged. He’s fading away in front of me. It’s heart breaking. I’m sending you hugs. One day at a time xx

• Indeed, that is all we can do, one day at a time. Sometimes you just feel so alone even with friends and family trying to help & support. My husbands abdomen is now swollen with fluid (common side effect of liver cancer) so waiting to have that drained and hoping (again) that will help his mobility. I am just so grateful that he has no pain. He never had any symptoms prior to his diagnosis and his cancer was discovered through a routine blood test. The CT scan of his liver looked really bad to me and the doctor even said as much but then the oncologist gave us a glimmer of hope which was dashed only a few weeks later. We will try and stay strong together as only those who are living through this new life can understand what we are going through, sending you much love xxx

Isabella181
  • It certainly is a new life and an emotional roller coaster. My husband had no symptoms and was fit and well until about 3 weeks before the endoscopy. It too was just a routine blood test that picked this up. How are things today? Have you been given a date for the liver drain?  My husband had a blood transfusion 2 days ago and that’s helped his energy levels. We waiting to see the oncologist which I am dreading. Xx

• Not been a good day, he has been in bed sleeping most of today apart from wanting to go to bathroom then I struggled to help him up from the toilet. Nothing definite for drain, he did ask about blood transfusion as well when Macmillan nurse came but was told his red blood count was ok last test which will have been taken when he was in hospital prior to discharge on 16 December. I rang district nurse and she is coming out tomorrow, my son has been brilliant staying with me for long time today, which sadly highlighted dads deterioration to him but he has his own family to see to as well and I can’t  expect him to stay 24/7. My husband is strongly against all my suggestions regarding having a hospital bed downstairs as I can’t see him managing the stairs anymore. Waiting to see the oncologist is an awful time and I do hope & pray that you have a more positive outcome xxx

Isabella181