Why so short tempered?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Following on from my last post, my wife seems less disconnected and isolated now. But that could just be that since her first round of Chemo a week ago, she has been mainly sleeping and generally feeling like crap! That seems to be passing now though.  She is now getting out of bed in time to do the school pick up run in the afternoons. 

I know that sounds a bit ungrateful of me but I have to find humour in the situation, otherwise I think I would just explode with rage and anger.

Which leads me to the point of this post, Why am I so short tempered at the moment?????

I am usually quite relaxed and calm. But in the last 4-5 months the things that just used to wash over me now get me agitated and angry.  What's worse is that it took an "argument" about how to reheat some beef stew to make me realise what my wife could clearly already see.

The only thing I can liken it to, is that a couple of weeks ago BC (before chemo), we had all the wife's family over for Sunday lunch.  All very nice but I kept myself out of the way in the kitchen doing the cooking and then the washing up. This wasn't because I was trying to be a martyr , look how much I am doing, it was because I just wanted to be on my own.  It was then that it hit me, the realisation that this is going to be my life for the next 6 months or so. Cooking, cleaning, looking after our boys, trying to keep everyone positive (especially the wife).. I know that sounds selfish, what my life is going to be like. It is, after all, the wife who has this terrible disease.  Maybe it is selfish, but that's ok isn't it?  After all this disease affects all of us.  And I think it is that aspect that some people don't realise.  I get the feeling that it is expected of me to just pick up the things that she can no longer do.  And I am doing that and without complaint (although the above would appear to contradict this). But honestly, I am not complaining. 

I am just frustrated by the whole situation.  The feeling of helplessness is all consuming.  I do what I can practically.  I support where I can emotionally.  However, even then there is still very little I can do.  I can't take the cancer away.  I can't take the sick feeling after chemo away.  It is just so damn frustrating.  At times I fell like a voyeur watching my own life happening before me through a window.  Involved but unable to control what is going on.

As you can see, this above is just a 46 year old, balding, grey haired, grey bearded, slightly portly bloke just having a rant.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading.  If you gave up after line 1, I don't blame you as I nearly gave up then as well.

Stay positive, the hours of darkness are followed by light xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's ok not to be ok 

We all need to rant and vent are frustration as carers we are looking in and carrying this  heavy load of a rollercoaster full of emotions

at time's with people around us we still feel so alone

I understand the wanting needing to be on your own to

Don't forget you are doing a fantastic job and one of the hardest job 

Sending much love and a big hug to you

The thing about this forum we can rant as much as we like vent our anger and frustration with none judgment 

I've done it and the feed back i get back no matter how small( someone just saying i hear you) can be so uplifting 

Rant away Blush

Xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Your message echoes my feelings entirely about my life with my husband so it was helpful to me to read your post. I haven't read your earlier post but this one truly reflects my feelings. I feel so selfish and resentful most of the time and I miss the life we have. He is so consumed with his illness and how he feels, he has no time for how this dreadful illness is affecting all our lives and has done for over a year now. We both distance ourselves from each other and that is my way of dealing with things, to really just ignore it.and carry on with my life or I too would sink.

I know I am dealing with it dreadfully and am little support to my husband but I cant take his illness away nor can I help him deal with all the feelings he has.

You are doing a great job as I am sure it is easier for me to carry on as he did very little about the home anyway or looking after the kids so keep up the good work and look after you xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi I made it to the end and one thing that stands out over everything else is that you've not lost your sense of humour.

I think you are experiencing what all carers feel at times and you proved it to yourself at the Sunday lunch you realised that it was an opportunity to have some ME time and just be on your own and you probably felt the better for it. If you can why not take yourself out one morning buy a newspaper and a half pint and have a relaxing hour, I am sure your wife will see the difference in you and you'll come back free of frustration and feel you can face everything that happens during the day, you may not be able to control things but you can manage it with a little help from your friends and family. 

As far as having a rant, you're entitled to and where else can do it if you can't do it here.

Keep being positive.

Ian

You will note I didn't suggest what you bought a half pint of, I'll leave that decision to you!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Disconnect

Your post echos must of us on here. I think we all miss the life before this dreadful disease hit our lives. Personally at times I feel like I’m in a bubble looking out at people living normal lives. I listen to friends go on about there problems and I selfishly think really ? your worried over something stupid like that walk in the life of people dealing with cancer. But then before we all got hit with it I suppose we was probably the same worried and moaning about trivial things 

stay strong and big hugs to you all X 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi gloriously tired Carers.

Thank you for all your comments and for sharing your own stories.

Well nearly a week has gone by and I can confirm that my temper is no longer as short as it was.  Still stretched at times but mostly bouncing back to my normal self. I think mainly, in part, due to the wife being 11 days PC, post Chemo and not politically correct as that is not something you would associate with either of us.

PC she has now got more energy and seems to be more of herself, which in turn has allowed me to relax a bit more.  I would love to say that this will be a lasting thing, but we have chemo part 2 coming up next week.  Doesn't that just sound like the worst sequel ever!!!! Especially when you know it will go on as long a Bruce Willis in a string vest (we have 6 chemos in total scheduled at the mo).

How I long for life BC and not PC.  Still this BS keeps on being thrown at us all.  And we will keep taking it as it stops it getting to the ones we love.

Keep fighting the good fight. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Stick at it ! you know you're right !!

We're 60yr olds now. My other half (bless her) is now 5 years down the road from stage 4 bowel cancer. There have been ups and there have been downs and there still ARE ups and downs. 

The sensitivity to hot and cold, the 'selfishness' sometimes like they are the only person in the world who has this horrid illness, how you NEVER, EVER understand just what its like.... oh the selfishness ! lol.

What they dont understand or grasp is you DO know what its like, you hear about it every day of your life, but you cant wave a Harry Potter special and make it go away, all you can do, is be the rock, the shoulder, the carer, the cook and cleaner and sometimes the only person they have to rant at. I guess that's the "In Sickness And In Health" part...….

Sure we'd love it never to have happened, but it did, and all we can do is what you are doing, be the rock look forward give her the encouragement to go forward. Sometimes its hard to know what to say for the best, sometimes I wonder if there IS anything you can say for the better. I think at the end of the day just being there is all that's needed.

Some friends, neighbours and even relatives run for the hills at the mention of the "C" word, as carers and partners we cant do that, when they have all run, we're the ones left to support, encourage and cuddle, that's what makes you special, very very special.

I sit and wonder sometimes, if it were me, would she do the same, care and help me I mean. Of course she would. What must it be like to be that scared, that 'lonely' when all your 'best friends' suddenly have other things to do, places to go, or just cant make that coffee at COSTA. Must be pretty horrible really. Thank God they have us eh ?

Tell her how you feel, have a rant on here, but be there for her.

Good luck chap, always here for you.