Prolong his life

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 42 subscribers

why do I want my husband to live longer more than he does? Why am I always researching alternative treatments for hours only for him to say if the oncologist hasn’t recommended it it can’t be good? I just feel all I’m doing is filling him with drugs while he is giving up. He told me yesterday that I don’t understand how he feels but I do I understand totally I’m living it with him I’m up at 2,3 and 4 with him rubbing his back then I’m reading lots of different things that might help him but he just doesn’t seem to be helping himself his mindset is totally on a downhill path and I want to help him but I’m at my wits end as to know what to do for the best. He says he wants to live longer but this isn’t what I feel he wants 

is anyone going through the same ? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Cath, 

I know completely how you feel as I went through this with my Mum many, many times! 

I think it's natural to try our absolute best to find ways of keeping our loved ones for as long as possible but in the end I have learnt that it is 100% up to the person that has cancer to try or not try anything that we suggest. My Mum's cancer journey was 100% her own and looking back I wish she would have whole heartedly adopted the schemes and plans I had for her.... but she didnt. Not because she couldnt but because that wasnt how she wanted to live - and that was her choice. 

It is SO frustrating to live this way and I wouldn't suggest stopping your research or your suggestions as you may stumble across something that he is willing to try and that makes him feel better - but just try to remind yourself that your partner will ultimately make his own decisions and you unfortunately just have to go along with him! 

Hope you start to feel better and find a path forward soon x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks Kelly 

its so nice to hear someone else feeling like I do. I just keep thinking tomorrow is another day 

thanks 

cath