All clear then a fall

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Dear everyone

Not been on this for a few weeks,then a problem here with updating passwords.Not sure what happened?I am Fifinet by the way,and now under a new name of Gemmas.

Had a dreadful time here in France recently.My husband fell and he was taken to the local hospital,which is about 20 minutes away from us.He had a chest infection and bruised spine.He went in with that and came out high on Vallium!A rubbish hospital and rubbish care.

He is still coming down from all that plus getting his strength back after an arduous treatment last year from throat cancer.

I have been his full time carer for nearly 2 weeks now.very exhausting.I don't know how people do it! And they are paid.

Just a quick question?does the world just revolve around the patient and are men worse than women? What I have had to do here in another language as well.I am also grateful to French friends and neighbours for their help and support.

Just struggling a bit here myself with a bad cough and total exhaustion,even from the last year?

To all of you lots of love and courage,wherever you are on this journey.

Gemmas xx

• hi gemmas... yes.. it very hard and frustrating being the main carer.. i have been my partners carer for nearly 2 years now.. we get the brunt of the anger, the outbursts and have to cope with seeing our loved ones in pain and struggling.. yet we try to remain up beat and positive whist trying to carry on with working and running the home.. sometimes with no appreciation!.. the patient gets all the care and support.. we get next to nothing.. apart from the knowledge that we are doing all we can and being there for them. when things get too much.. i shut myself in the bedroom with a really scary horror movie, a bottle of wine and a 6 pack of crisps!!.. heaven!! lol.... everybody finds a way of coping and struggling on.. best wishes, mandy x

never give up hope
  • Hi , sorry for the messing around with passwords and everything. We do have hiccups from time to time. Have you tried cancer support France? They are English speaking and you can call them to chat or they will call you back. I don't  think it's a gender issue; we have men saying their wives are unkind to them so it's more about different types of people. It can take a long time for the carer to recover too. We often don't allow ourselves the luxury of accepting that we might be traumatised by the whole journey. A few hours break can be too little to get that unwinding that we need and so the exhaustion builds up. Little breaks and often, deep breathing, noticing birdsong or when the sun is shining standing outside and having the warmth on your skin, a hot bath; anything you can do to take small breaks as often as possible can help.

Love and hugs,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you