Dating again (online)

• 33 replies
  • 33 subscribers

I’d be really interested to hear people’s thoughts on this. I was idly looking at a well know dating site yesterday evening, out of curiosity more than anything else. I was encouraged to see profiles of nice sounding men. It made me think that maybe I could meet someone else ( as Mike said he hoped I would) one day.... 

• Well said 79WJ. Dating for widows/widowers is complicated.

I have just spent the evening with friends and the dating subject came up (having been in bed all day with a migraine, I popped out at 11.30 feeling much better).

I am currently at a place where I want to make positive changes to my life. It's funny how other people think you need to meet someone to make your life happier! 

I know that I need to live my life the best way I can for myself. I am not saying that I am not open to meeting someone new, just that it will happen organically when the time is right. I personally need to focus on my own wellbeing for now.

My husband lost his previous partner to cancer. I have to admit that I never quite understood what he was going through until I found myself in the same position as he was when I met him. I do understand your comment about meeting another widowed person being more understanding. However, I would like to add that from my past experience it was just about being with the right person. We worked through difficult times together. 

I like to think that when/if you do meet the right person, the other obstacles fall into place. I hope anyway.

With lots of love,

Dutsie Xx

• I was encouraged to have a look on a dating site by my daughter who was 17 at the time, it was around a year after losing my husband.  

I communicated online at first and had some really nice conversations but still had no intention of actually meeting anyone but again she told me to give it a go.  what did I have to lose.

I met 3 people but only once, they were very nice but not for me but i enjoyed having a bite to eat/drink without any pressure or romance attached.

Then I met Chris.  This was different, he was not Rick but something just felt right.

We got married last July and whilst there is still not a day goes by when I don't think about Rick I know he would be pleased, he also hoped I would meet someone one day and wouldn't be lonely for too long.

don't be afraid but take things as they come.  

Gail xx

• Thank you Gails. That’s really helpful and I’m so happy for you xx 

Alison 
    Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm