Little things that cause a big reaction

• 16 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Dear group I’m posting in floods of tears. I’ve just notified a bank and the National Trust that Mike has died ( we had a joint credit card and NT membership). The sight of those little cards cut into four as instructed has upset me so much. Weirdly almost more than anything else since he died. His wallet, which is in a drawer in my desk, is now completely empty. I guess it’s a representation of how empty my life feels without him.

• It is a hard thing to do I had to do it as well for wife and also Tesco cards it's surprising how hard it hits  driving license was another one but I haven't plucked up the courage the distroy  that yet it's got her pic on it hope your day settles down a bit and feel a little better 

Ian
  • I have kept all my wife’s cards , and still have joint account can’t bring myself to change it or cut cards. Mike 

Love you always Winnie xx
  • It's just too sad isn't it, no wonder you are in tears.

I still have our last joint cheque book and as some of the others have said my husband's wallet still contains his bank cards and driving license. I can't get rid of them, his signature is on them and his photo.

It is the little things Hugging

• Ruby diamond x
  • Wishing I’d kept them now but at least it shows me I’m nowhere near ready to get rid of anything else that belonged to him ( except for a coat he bought for our trip to Iceland in 2017. Some students where I work are collecting coats for homeless people and I know Mike would want his ‘Iceland coat’ to help someone else). 

Alison 
    Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm
  • That's a lovely thing to have done with Mike's coat.

I still have all my husband's possessions, and I'm not ready to part with any of it. He passed away on 31-3-18.

It's a comfort to know it's there and as you say when I did open the draws and take things out with a view to maybe removing some, I was in floods of tears so I just put it all back. 

Be kind to yourself, and only do things at your own pace 

• Ruby diamond x
  • Hi there

Read your post and reminded me of when my mother died.  She was my mother and my best friend and it hit me hard.  I couldnt get rid of her things it took me a long time to do that.  However I packed things away in sturdy boxes so that I knew what was in there and could go and look at them when I wanted.  It helped me to feel close to her.

I still have some of her things around me but they are now just the really important things that I wanted to keep.  Packing items away gives you time to come back to them when you are ready to decide what to keep and what to let go.

I wish you peace xx

BrandyGirl
  • Thank you Ruby Diamond. Doing things at our own pace and being kind to oneself are key - thank you for reminding me x 

Alison 
    Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm
  • Thank you Brandygirl, I like your staged approach x

Alison 
  • Hi occupational2heal and all. 

When my lovely daughter recorded my darlings passing at the registrar of births and deaths she was given a reference number to log into a site called ' Tell All.' or something like that? This Government run site then informs all Government departments, pensions, banks and building societies of a person's passing. ( I don't accept the word death!)  As such everything was cancelled for me in respect of my sweet heart. BUT I will never get rid of my Anne's clothes -EVER. All the time my soul mates clothes are in her wardrobe she still remains a part of our house and a part of my life. They are sacred. They belong to my Anne and as such are non of my business. The same goes for her bedroom draws containing her  'Lady items.' I don't need the space anyway so they too remain for the rest of my life. BUT that's just me folks. I fully respect and understand other good people having other feelings.

Love and Light 

Geoff

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.