Funeral on Friday

• 12 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Dear online community, I hope no one will think this a rather ‘shallow ‘ question. If you do, just ignore it please.

My husband’s funeral is on Friday next week. Today  I’ve been writing the service with a friend who is also a celebrant and we’ve taken a celebrating his life approach. He was only 62, we were very happy, his was a short illness, horrible but oh so bravely borne, and I’m finding great comfort in happy memories. 

My question is this - what to wear for his funeral? I started off certain I wanted to wear black but now I am not so sure. It would be helpful to hear others thoughts. 

Thank you. 

• At my wife's funeral I wore black out of choice but told everyone if they wanted to wear colourful clothes to do so my wife always liked coloured clothes

Ian
  • Alison wear whatever you want to wear , don’t worry what anyone else thinks. He was your man you know best. 

Mike 

Love you always Winnie xx
  • Alison. Firstly sorry for your need to be here. You wear what you feel comfortable with. I wore black and gave no indication to others.

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Alison wear whatever you want,I wore a outfit Alan used to always say I looked nice in it,the top was navy with flowers ,it’s going to be a hard day so try and not worry about your outfit,everyone has there own preference.and as long as your comfortable with it.My thoughts are with you for Friday....Val. 

• Thank you 

Alison 
    Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm
  • Thank you Mike 

Alison 
    Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm
  • Thank you. Do you know the poem ‘He is gone’? A friend is reading it on Friday, I wonder if you might like it? Hugs 

Alison 
  • Thank you, yes I might choose something I know he liked. Thank you for thinking of me - 3pm on Friday 

Alison 
  • I would say maybe predominantly black but maybe black and white or maybe something brighter.  I think there should be some black in the outfit.  And yes maybe something he liked or you feel comfortable in..  hope all goes well on Friday. Will be thinking of you xx Dolly 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Alison

I think you answered your own question when you told us that that the day was to be a celebration of your husbands life.

What do you think he would want you to wear, and as others have mentioned do you have an outfit that he liked you to wear.

Times are changing the sombre traditional day of everyone in black are slowly disappearing and "colourful" funerals coming in.

What about a bit of mix and match a black skirt (about knee level) or trousers with a coloured top (not too bright and flowery) whether you wear a hat is up to you.

As it's still likely we could be having some good weather you could finish off the outfit with a darkish jacket from your wardrobe in place of a longer coat.

It's what you will feel comfortable in and at the end of the its what you feel respectful in and of course what's in your wardrobe.

If you decide against traditional and wear something different it might be an idea to let the grape vine know what you are doing.

One thing no one has mention is Shoes. The day could be a long one and depending on the type of funeral where you could be walking on different surfaces you should aim for a nice pair of comfortable shoes as you could be standing a long time. It's not advisable to wear trainers but something fashionable and comfy will be the order of the day.

I feel that you will make the correct decision and do your husband proud.

Ian