First referral

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi. How long did it take for your appointment to come through for gyno once gp put in for referral after scan?  It’s been a week and I’m really anxious. The scanned showed thickening. Bleeding for six months. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good look. Think that If there is any chance it could be something not normal you should be seen in 2 weeks. Because of covid it depend on your local hospital. Your referral should have been classed as urgent x

• Hello Emma, sorry you have all this extra worries with the waiting time, i can honestly say most of us will relate to the waiting is the pits, every day/hour seems forever. In most cases you would of been referred under the two week waiting window, although I know there has been some delays due to covid but most have at least some contact pretty quickly with the gynaecology team within two weeks. I can understand the worry and frustration we have all had it but hopefully you will get an appointment though anytime now.

sending you a big gentle bear hug  

Community Champion badge_GBear Xxxx 

What is a Community Champion?    Womb cancer forum  

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.

“let hope be your lighthouse beckoning you though stormy seas" - Jessica de la Davies

• Hi Emma123456

I agree with GBear, the waiting is the worst but they do seem to act quickly. Once the GP makes the referral, the hospital's take over. In my case some appointments arrived by letter, some were arranged on the phone. The ultrasound was followed by the hysteroscopy/biopsy. Then 2 week wait for results, Then perhaps CT & MRI scans. Then meeting with surgeon who then has MDT meeting (Multi Disciplined Team meeting, involves Surgeons, Oncologists, Nursing Staff  who plan the treatment according to the biopsy. Then the hysterectomy, another two week wait for histology which reveal at what stage the prospect of cancer, if present, has reached. Then perhaps more treatment. It seems there's 2 week to wait before each stage - not the 2 week wait I imagined after my chat with my GP  - that following the chat I'd have had all the tests, consultations then the op! Not possible!

I don't mean to depress you, it' just letting you know how things might pan out. We've all been there, anxious and frightened. Come on this forum and rant or just ask for reassurance - we're here to give it. We're all at the start, in the middle, at the end of this rollercoaster ride.

Big hugs to you, Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett