Hello to everyone

• 12 replies
  • 29 subscribers

I am 75 yrs old and was told a week ago that I will be having a thyroidectomy. When I was told the results of my biopsy I thought ... "oh well-never mind, its better taken out and all will be well'  (just like having a tooth out) 

I wasn't worried until I started to ask questions a few days later. I could say it was shock; but really it was naivety on my part as I didn't no anything about cancer. Only yesterday I found out it would be a 5hr operation - NOW THAT WAS A SHOCK!  as I presumed it would be 1 to 1 1/2  hrs at the most.

Beginning of next week I go for my pre-operation assessment and will be told again details I had missed when seeing my consultant . I have met my lovely Macmillan nurse and she will be there for me whenever I wish to talk.

As all the information is finally getting through to me my concern goes to my family as I don't want to cause them to worry Frowning2

My main question is to to all that have gone through the thyroidectomy -PLEASE tell me if it is painful " for me it is aways best to know these things then one is ready to deal with it  Thumbsup

Sending a group hug to all  

• Hi. 

I've had TT but also neck dissection in April. So if you are only having total thyroidectomy I might not help a lot however I am wondering why would your surgery take so long as as far as I know TT only is not a very complicated and long procedure. Do you have some lymph nodes involved?

• I'm not sure  IsabellFel , When asked how long would I be in theatre I was told 5hrs. And that the surgeon has only me on his list for that day. The plan is to leave the lymph nodes as there is no sign of  cancer.  I will ask the question again when I go for my assessment next week?  May be I have just got things mixed up as there were so many things going around in my head at the same time - I should have wrote  the questions down then everything would be clearer. Thinking

• The great thing about anaesthetic is it won't matter how long it takes - you'll be out cold. And the answer to 'does it hurt' is that it absolutely depends on you. Some people need a week off work for a paper cut, others are out running a couple of days after surgery. It's a wide spectrum.

For a straight thyroidectomy without any lymph nodes being involved, you'll probably be given pretty timid pain-killers - not much more than paracetamol and ibuprofen. 

My worst pain was after they foolishly gave me a tramadol in the hospital and I lay there all night in agony - didn't even feel the cut in my neck but it hurt my tummy horribly. 

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• I have finally settled down a bit with my thoughts and feel a lot calmer and as you say - when I'm asleep I will be oblivious to the time spent in theatre. As for pain, I am sure I will cope as I have been dealing with it for yrs with my arthritis. Thank you for replying

• Hiya Hopeful2 Blush

I had a Hemi thyroidectomy on 30th June 2022 and had my Completion thyroidectomy on Tuesday! 

I can honestly say from my experience, the TT was significantly less painful. I stayed in hospital for 3 days as my calcium levels dropped very low, but that is being managed. Pain wise, im able to eat normal folds, whereas after the Hemi I was eating mash/pasta etc. I had a drain for 2 days after the TT which was literally painless, and more an inconvenience than anything. There’s a bit of discomfort around the would site but I wouldn’t say “pain”. I was sent home on paracetamol and ibruprofen and to be honest I haven’t needed to touch it other than night time to help be comfy. I’d definitely recommend a V shaped pillow to support your neck, strapless or low cut tops, just so you are more comfortable and don’t have a top rubbing around your neck. 
    My hemi took 2 hours, my TT took 3, as there was a lot of inflammation and scar tissue. The only thing that surprised me both times was the muscle tightness in the back of my shoulders and neck - i believe this is because you’re laying in an odd position when under anaesthetic, so just makes you feel achey after!! 

Good luck xxx 

• Thank you for for going into detail , it is what I needed as I suppose I could be looked on as being a practical person / organised and like to have all the facts in front of me.

• I totally understand, I am the same xx 

• Sorry to hear of your diagnosis @Hopeful2 and understand how you are feeling right now.  I have recently gone through a TT and central and rh side neck dissection to remove lymph nodes.  I was much the same as you and didn't realise how long the operation would take until someone on here mentioned theirs took 6/7 hours and I started to look it up and then asked questions when seeing the consultant.  I would say that the operation itself was not painful and I only needed paracetamol for sore throat and headache, so the pain was manageable.  I am almost 4 weeks post surgery and have been fine but my neck is tight and swollen in places but gradually going down but may take a while. I purchased a V shaped pillow before I went into hospital so that I could sit more upright when home and I must say it has made sleeping a lot easier.  I wouldn't have know about the pillow had I not read  someone else suggesting it.  Best wishes to you and I found it helpful to write down a list of questions so that the consultant could answer my queries and found him to be very helpful and kind and explained everything to me. 

• Hi

I had a total thyroidectomy in May for Graves’ disease my thyroid was sent for routine histology testing and from this I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer which has all been treated with the surgery. I was not in huge amounts of pain I just had regular paracetamol and ibuprofen for about a week. It’s a funny feeling I found it difficult to talk and got fatigueHugginghaving a long conversation. It’s a little uncomfortable as you have to sleep upright for a few days I used a travel pillow round my neck and propped myself up with pillows. I stayed in for a couple Hugging days. You have a drain put in which is removed prior to going home. Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery from your op Hugging

•  I go for the pr-operation assessment on Tuesday so I will check the time I am in theatre as my son insists he will be waiting until I come out  'bless him"  Its the second time a V shaped pillow has be mentioned so I have order one today. The Macmillan Nurse has already phoned me at home to see how I'm coping re TT op  - and I was told if in any doubt about anything I can call her Thumbsup