Hello to everyone

• 12 replies
  • 31 subscribers

I am 75 yrs old and was told a week ago that I will be having a thyroidectomy. When I was told the results of my biopsy I thought ... "oh well-never mind, its better taken out and all will be well'  (just like having a tooth out) 

I wasn't worried until I started to ask questions a few days later. I could say it was shock; but really it was naivety on my part as I didn't no anything about cancer. Only yesterday I found out it would be a 5hr operation - NOW THAT WAS A SHOCK!  as I presumed it would be 1 to 1 1/2  hrs at the most.

Beginning of next week I go for my pre-operation assessment and will be told again details I had missed when seeing my consultant . I have met my lovely Macmillan nurse and she will be there for me whenever I wish to talk.

As all the information is finally getting through to me my concern goes to my family as I don't want to cause them to worry Frowning2

My main question is to to all that have gone through the thyroidectomy -PLEASE tell me if it is painful " for me it is aways best to know these things then one is ready to deal with it  Thumbsup

Sending a group hug to all  

• That’s good that you have your Pre op you might find it helpful to make a list of questions to ask and take this with you. I was meant to get a v pillow but forgot to get one but the travel pillow was good to. Please also speak to your Macmillan nurse if you need them at any point they will be with you every step of your journey x

• Thank you Sidney78  Slight smile It has been good for me talking to everyone like this as I am trying to make light of the operation at home. My operation is booked in for the first week in September but I have mentioned on my questionnaire form that if  they receive a cancelation then they can contact me with just 2 days notice. ( the sooner the better)