16 year old son

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 12 subscribers

My son who just turned 16 has been to the gp yesterday and he’s done an urgent referral for him to see a urologist. Who he said should see him within the next two weeks. One of his testicles is 5 times larger than the other. He’s also been getting lower back pain and he’s been off his food for a while. Is there anyone out there can reassure me?? His grandad died when he was 1 of secondary cancer and also his dad when he was 5 of secondary cancer. Non of them had testicular cancer though. Please someone ?  

• Hi Lollie,

I’m so sorry to hear of all you have been and are going through. 

Did the GP also refer him for an ultrasound? When my husband attended his GP in December with a painful lump “ down below”, he was referred for an ultrasound and also a urologist. Two weeks on the NHS seems about right and probably quicker than some. The test for testicular cancer is an ultrasound plus a blood test done by the urology team. 

Testicular cancer is rare and usually lumps/ swellings on the testicles turn out to be infections/ cystoceles etc so it could well be something else. 

If however, there is a testicular cancer diagnosis, know that it’s a highly treatable and curable cancer. Treatment for it is excellent and prognosis at most stages is good. 

I sincerely hope it is something else but in the meantime you have taken the right steps. Just make sure the GP has also referred him for an ultrasound. 

Finally, try not to google too much as it can be unnecessarily alarming. This forum is excellent. 

Take care and here for any questions and will help if can. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Spirited

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m going to ring the doctor again Monday  to double check if he’s booked an ultrasound as he just said the urologist.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Lollie71,

At age 19 one of my sons testicles was the size of a tennis ball.  He did see the GP who firstly gave him antibiotics.  A month later seeing another GP he was told to go to A&E which he did.  After a first cocked up visit for an ultrasound, a further visit to A&E a week later resulted in the following:

Next day went for ultrasound with a follow up visit immediately after with the urologist who had seen him in A&E.  Told there was a 1% chance it was not cancer and that he was to come back to see the urologist after the hospitals Multi Disciplinary Meeting in three days time.  He saw the urologist at the appointed time and was told he would be operated on the following week and thereafter would be referred to an oncologist.  It took about a week and a half from going to A&E (the second time) to having his op.  

Im not saying the A&E route always progresses as fast as this as all hospitals are different but perhaps it’s worth a try as I believe (but am not certain) that it would be the urologist who arranges the ultrasound.

My son has been clear of cancer for nearly 5 years now.

Wishing you and your son all the best

• FormerMember

I’ve just had a phone call from the hospital asking for my son to attend a 9.30 appointment tomorrow morning!! In shock as he only went to see the doctor on Friday! 

• Lollie,

It seems to me that your GP Is obviously being very thorough and in light of his age, has probably put him through as an urgent referral. So glad he is getting seen so promptly.

I appreciate worry will be at the forefront of your mind but do your best to keep busy and tomorrow will come quickly. 

Thinking of you. Keep us posted. 

• FormerMember

Hi

I hope your sons’s ultrasound goes well .

Good that they are being so thorough .

best wishes