1 cycle vs. 2 cycle BEP - side effect tinnitus

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Dear All,

I would love to hear your advice and experiences on whether to have 1 cycle or 2 cycles of BEP.

For background, orchidectomy September 2016, 80% Seminoma - 20% non-seminoma, no lymphvascular or vascular invasion, blood levels completely normal. Followed up with surveillance for 1.5 years, CT show increased lymph node in January 2018, had my right side robotic template RPLND in late February with Dr. Mayer. results came as 2cm seminoma in one lymph node. Prof. Huddart at Royal Marsden advised 1 cycle of BEP. Started the BEP on 4th of April, scheduled to get the last bleomycin this week.

As a second opinion, I have approached Dr. Einhorn and Dr. Cary in Indianapolis, which advised two cycles of BEP. It looks like only Prof. Huddart is suggesting this approach due to his 1-cycle study post orchidectomy (regardless of lymph node invasion). Even though it is very tempting to end this after one cycle, I am concerned whether one cycle is enough?

Did anybody take only one cycle after having RPLND? If yes, how are you getting on and do you advise on sticking to one cycle.

In addition, I developed a severe tinnitus in my first cycle, disturbing the sleep and the recovery. Quite worried that in the second cycle the side effects will escalate and could lead to major problems (hearing loss).

Best,

Berk

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Berk

Many thanks for the question, I would also like to know opinion on this. For my first TC, 14 years ago, I had 2 cycles BEP. But now new Embryonal TC with lymphovascular invasion and they are only recommending one cycle. I had mild tinnitus which improved and mild peripheral neuropathy, both now resolved.

I would feel "safer" with two cycles but also don't want more side effects.

Cheers

Simon

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Simon 

My heart goes out to you for having to go through this ordeal again. I’m so sorry to hear this. 

We can try to get through and help each other. 

Are you with professor huddart? My dr is professor huddart and he is saying one cycle, I agree with you I feel ‘safer’ with two but don’t want the side effects - also having gone through one and being allergic to etoposide. Also if my dr is confident one is enough to treat anything microscopic, I’m not sure if the second cycle is beneficial....?! 

Hopefully someone will message us and can shed some light on their story as well. 

Best of luck, let me know if I can help with anything. 

Best 

Berk 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Many thanks Berk

I will let you know the plan

Best of luck to you as well!

Cheers

Simon

• Hi Gents, How are things now after your BEP? I am mid cycle and have the last two day cases of Bleo to go and I am apprehensive. I am going through the phase of 'have i made the correct decision'. Do you feel any symptoms now?