What to expect from chemotherapy treatment after surgery?

• 6 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer 4 weeks ago and had surgery to remove my left testical a week later. I am booked in tomorrow for my ct scan and other tests and to get full results from the biopsy so really nervous at the moment and everything has just been a blur and not really had time to process it all properly. 

I was just wondering what everyone's experiences where at this appointment and if I need to have a round of chemotherapy what should I expect? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

• Hi Jim.

It's all a bit if a whirlwind isn't it. Everything moves so fast.

There are generally 2 types of chemo that are offered. If your cancer was just stage 1 then you might be offered a single cycle of carboplatin. This is the treatment I had. It's quite tolerable. You'll have a few rough weeks and then you'll gradually improve from there and you'll be back to normal after a few months. 

If your cancer is past stage 1 you might be offered 3 cycles of BEP.  This is more intense I think. Others who have experienced it will be able to tell you more.

Best wishes

• You can say that again. Thank you very much for your reply and sharing your experience it is much appreciated 

• And when I say rough weeks I don't mean you'll feel terrible solidly for a few weeks. There will be a few bad days, but you'll just feel hung over and a bit week for most of it.

• Morning Gents

I had the 3 Cycles of BEP and it sounds very similar to the other treatment.

I didn’t have any sickness but the person who I shared a room with during our treatment was sick quite a lot with having the chemotherapy.

If I remember with the BEP you have treatment in hospital for 3 days at a time with a 3 week gap in between so that your body has time to recover.

Hope this helps.

• Hi all

So today I had my first CT scan with contrast which was a strange sensation when they injected the dye.

I also had my first oncology appointment which I thought I would get the results of the biopsy from the surgery and the results from the CT scan but this was not the case. I have another appointment for next week for the results which was a bit disappointing as I had built myself up for the results today. I did find out that the tumours where both seminars and non-seminoma has anyone had any experience with this and what treatment was given?

Thank you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jim83

Hi Jim83 

I hope your doing well and you got the news you were hoping for from your ct scan. keep your chin up buddy and stay positive.