Chemotherapy this week

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Following my testicular cancer removal I had my single blast of Carboplatin this week and self injected my first immune booster yesterday.  Being an very active person it feels very different as I don’t want to get out of bed. I’ve been sleeping so much.

I’m so keen to start exercising again but I’m worried if a use too much energy it may compromise my immune system further.

Is there a balance or a get back to exercise programme?

I’ve convinced myself to start exercising then it will speed up my recovery but my body wants to rest?

Thanks

D

• I'd give it while. I had single carboplatin in May at age 47. I took it really easy for a few weeks and then started doing light weight training. I very slowly built up from there.  I don't think over exercising will compromise your immune system, but your energy levels will be up and down for weeks yet and I think you risk making the troughs deeper and longer if you overdo it. 

Glad you're doing well.

G

• In the other thread you posted in you say you're only 3 days in. That means that you've probably just finished the 3 day course of anti nausea meds. They contain a very strong steroid. You might have noticed your appetite has been unusually high as a side effect. They can also have other side effects like increase in energy. At 3 days your systems are still on the way down and you are maybe a full week away from your nadir and then you will start coming out of the other side. Please only do what comes really easy in term of exercise for a good while yet. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Teahupo

Thanks for the feedback. I may have been a little over optimistic on recovery then?

• Not really. You'll be fine, but you've got some way to go yet. Just be careful not to overdo it too soon.

G

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Teahupo

I absolutely hit a brick wall 4 days in as you said. Started back on the up 7 days in and massive improvement each day now.

wow I wasn’t expecting that