Asthma drugs and Prostate Cancer treatments

• 2 replies
  • 109 subscribers

I am on Prostap and as a drug it works quite well, my psa is down under four and hopefully at next review the number will be lower but I have a problem. My weight is increasing no matter how much exercise I take, my stomach getting larger and as a result my asthma is running wild, my use of steroids to control it is increasing daily and O have eczema appearing in places I haven't had any problems like this many a long year. I called my gp only to get told to take more steroids.

Are there any other Astha sufferers on here who were/are on Prostap or any of the other injections that had problems like this and how did they get round them?

I will be talking to my oncologist about this but any tips or advice would be welcome.

Cheers

RT

• Weight gain on HT is a pretty common event, but controlling your weight isn't impossible, just much more difficult. Steroids, of course, just add to the problem.

I think it's important not just to exercise, but to increase your activity generally: limit the sitting about that HT tempts you with. Leave the car, walk everywhere. Sort out the garden. Take another walk. Not a gentle stroll; a brisk walk.

Also, look long and hard about what you are eating: cut out all snacks, take smaller portions, zero fried food. Consider using fasting days (that worked for me!).

I went up two trouser sizes in 8 months (34" >> 38") before I took it seriously, and it took me 18 months to drop one, and another 18 months to get back to where I started.

It's a sad fact of life that weight gain can only happen when you  (A) eat more and/or (B) are less active: You need to consider both and work on both.

**Also consider that it may be partly that you are retaining fluids; check for swollen legs and feet, get your GP to review any heart/blood pressure medication.

And no, I didn't say it was easy. It was hell. But if you're one of the unlucky ones, you have to deal with it.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• All good advice and I will take it on board thanks.