Advice needed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello All. I was wondering if you could offer advice. My dad 73 perfectly healthy besides type 2 diabetes but he lost lots of weight so was borderline. 
Before Christmas after his normal checks they sent him for a Kidney scan and have said he has Chronic Kidney Disease stage 3. We thought that was it but he was called for more bloods and a check of his prostate. In the last week we have been told he has a PSA of 14 and he had an MRI Wednesday with a biopsy today and now a bone scan booked for next week. They have said my mum should be with him for the results. We are now all panicking and fearing the worst. Is a bone scan a normal check with prostate cancer? If it has spread to bones or lymph nodes is that a death sentence? 

• Hi Davo, sorry about your dad

with a PSA of 14 its probably unlikely to have spread to the bones but obviously they have to check. When the Mri and biopsy results are in that will tell u a whole lot more.

In answer to your question about  spread and death sentence, no it's not a death sentence. there is still plenty that they can do ie Chemo and Hormone therapy to hold it at bay for possibly years to come.

Let us know when u have Mri and biopsy results 

best wishes 

steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Thanks Steve. That’s so reassuring. It’s completely knocked us off our feet but we are a strong family and my dad is a warrior so whatever is going to be faced we will do it together. 
    I will post when we know more.

best wishes, keep safe Sarah 

• Hi there, my partner had a PSA of 45 when diagnosed and had a bone scan which we were told was normal procedure and it was clear.   Try not to worry, I know it’s easier said than done but it is standard to do a bone scan 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nellie78

Thank you so much Nellie. This has definitely eased my worry. I hope you and your husband are safe and well x

• Best of luck to you all and stay safe too  Xx

• Hi Davo  I'm 67 I've just been diagnosed 3 weeks ago and its spread to my ribs and lymph nodes I was really worried but after speaking to my oncologist he said it was very treatable and said I had years infront of me which was reassuring as u automatically think it's all over. I had a bone scan too but as he explained it's to see the extent its spread its standard practice. Good luck with the results but I'm sure hell have plenty more years with you. John