Late onset radiation cystitis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hello,

Has anyone any experience of late onset radiation cystitis? My Dad had RT for prostate cancer almost 5 years ago and this week had an episode of brown urine. He's experienced occasional rectal bleeding since a year after RT too, diagnosed as radiation damage. I wonder whether those who suffer rectal damage are also more likely to suffer bladder/urethral damage too. Makes sense, I suppose, but what are your experiences? 

Thanks.

• I haven't had cystitis but do have other side effects from RT two years ago. There's a really useful booklet from Macmillan called "Managing The Late Effects of Pelvic Radiotherapy in Men". I picked up mine at the Macmillan area when I was having RT, but I can't find any reference to it on the website.

However, there is some good information here:  Link

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Seamus47

Thank you, Seamus47. My best wishes to you.

• Hi,

You may well be right about radiation cystitis, but don't take it for granted, as there are other possible reasons for 'brown urine', including local infection, kidney infection or other renal or bladder issues.

Do get it fully investigated.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Heinous

Thanks for the reply, Heinous. We heard today that he's to have a cystoscopy investigation.

Best wishes, Denise